CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

FPR.... since it was brought up I was thinking...

steve6

this is kinda off topic, but you guys seem to have good answers, you think a FPR could cause a inconsistant stalling problem? I get a bit of odd back firing as well, but basically if you drive the car down the road, it will eventually stall, it runs fine otherwise, but its getting ALOT worse(stalling alot more often)..... everytime it kicks out, it will start again, sometimes it takes a minute or two or five, its not spark related, spark is always good-- but what does seem low is the fuel pressure in the rail(when i get out and have a look and press the pressure relief valve on the end of the fuel rail). This is for a 1994 buick century 3.1 litre(im sorry its no cadillac :( ).. no engine codes are being set at any time. I have changed the obvious, plugs, wires, fuel filter, made sure it wasnt plugged cat converter, and i pulled the gas tank off and the tank is clean of any debre on the pick up screen, its not just a stall, you can tell something is f***ing up bascially, you lose power, and it stalls as soon as you shift to neutral if not before. I think i have it narrowed down to FPR or intermintant fuel pump(not likely). The frp is $150 dolla from the dealer and fuel pump is well over $200, its not really worth it for a third POS car like this, but i need to get it fixed before I drive it into a lake #(*#$.

If i do get out to have a look, and press the fuel release valve on the end of the rail, you get almost no gas, but it will start up instantly after that, like it was getting air purged from the system.....

any input is great, thanks

-steve

Sure, it could be fuel pump or FPR related. However, it sounds like it could be the crankshaft sensor. If this problem tends to occur when the engine is a normal operating temperature, I would be suspicious that the camshaft sensor is defective and is throwing off the time, which is why there is also backfiring.

Stalling while you are runnig is a symptom of a clog or bad fuel pump. The in-line filter or injectors can clog. Codes will tell the tale. The FPR will cause poor starting when hot, and in severe cases irregular idle when hot and other driveabilty problems. Codes?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

no engine codes at all, thats the killer. I was also thinking crankshaft sensor, but if it was that, it should kick the spark off as well, and ive checked that numerous times when its happened and its always a good clean spark(It will turn over with good spark and not start right back up). The odbI systems were never really that great for codes, the light hasnt come on in a while,

I drilled a hole through the fuel filter to eliminate that, its not that :lol:

thanks for the replies.

Put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and tape the face of the gauge to the outside of the windshield so you can observe fuel pressure when the engine quits.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Until you do, you won't know for sure, but from your symptoms and lack of fuel pressure after the engine shuts down, my money is on an intermittent pump failure.

Archived