CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bypassed Heater Core

Lamar9875

Ok, I did alot of searching and I bypassed my heater core. I took the 2 raditor hose's that connect to the firewall and connected them with a U and my car was running fine, beside's it being cold as hell sometime's it was running fine. Then there was raditor fluid leaking underneath that same spot, my Engine Coolant Hot came on and a few second's later it said engine hot and shut off. I drove it today and nothing happened but the temp went up to 230 so I came back home and turned it off, I'am going to add some oil since I'am low in that and I bought more raditor fluid just in case, could I have a blown head gasket?? or could it be the heater core still I unno any help would do thnx. And there's a hose that should be connected to the raditor but I can't find where it goes if someone has a pic of the Northstar engine can you put it on here. I drive a 1994 Cadillac Eldardo

You might just have had some air in the system. Driving it should purge it. No idea what hose you are talking about. There are two hoses connected to the radiator. The inlet and outlet hoses.

You might just have had some air in the system. Driving it should purge it. No idea what hose you are talking about. There are two hoses connected to the radiator. The inlet and outlet hoses.

Ok I'll give it a try, gonna jack the car up and see where the leak is coming from. usually I fill it up half way then like a hour later it's all coming back out.

Ok I found my leak, I poured coolant in looked underneath and saw it dripping out of a coolant line I'am guessing. If you were to go underneath your car front passanger side you'll see what look's like a hose where that's where mine was leaking at, I know there's no easy way to fix it but this is my only way to work until I am out of the army, would any tape would do I know sound's stupid but anything will do.

found out more about it, it's the purge line correct?

I merged your threads to keep this together

Here is the heater system diagram

NSHeaterHoses.jpg

Here is the alternator cooling system that only some Northstars have, NOT ALL

WaterCooledAlternator2.gif

Here is the coolant tank, they can crack and leak

2000SurgeTank2.gif

Here is the purge line hose to the tank, this is a clear hose, but NOT the correct hose

SurgeTankHose.jpg

Here is the cooling system diagram

NSCoolingSystemCircuit.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The purge line is on top of the engine. You might be looking at one of the coolant lines to or from the surge tank. Might be a crack in the tank and running down the hose. No tape will fix it. The only fix is to find the leak and replace the component.

looked at it a little more and it's a hose or line but not the tank, because when it was leaking i felt where it was coming from and not to make sure it was from the tank or dripping down on the line.

Archived