CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OBEII Monitors Not Ready

mgk1967

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1997 sts with 86000 miles. I recently took my car in for the State of Illinois Emmission test. I had just replaced the Mass air flow senor, and had the code cleared a month ago.I drove the car for 550 miles, city and highway, along with completing 3 drive cycles that I had viewed on this Great site, still the catalyst efficiency status,oxygen sensor system staus ,and the heated oxygen system status monitors will not reset. Is there anyone out there that can guide me in the right direction, on solving this problem.

Thanks

Yes, your OBDII vehicle has to go entirely through a drive cycle for it to be ready for the inspection. That is by design, so that you can't disconnect the battery a block away to erase the codes before your inspection....... Read the post by Scotty on Readiness Status:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=drive+cycle

Also see the TYPICAL DRIVE CYCLE posted by SCOTTY in that same thread, if you run that ROUTINE you will be ready for inspection..

Scotty is the Man! :ph34r:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mgk1967

I know this problem oh so well. I think you have a canadian car, you can tell by the dash that reads 160 mph speedometer. If you do have a canadian car you will have to have the computer reprogrammed at the dealer. I went through hell trying to get my monitors to go ready on my 97 sts. The computer is not USA ready and most people don't know what the problem is even the dealer didn't know until they called GM and asked after I took the dealer to do it. The dealer doesn't kwow what the programming does but I think it is to trick the computer to thinking the catalatic converter overhead is installed. On the canadian sts it does not have a over heat sensor for the converter. Good Luck!

Yes, your OBDII vehicle has to go entirely through a drive cycle for it to be ready for the inspection. That is by design, so that you can't disconnect the battery a block away to erase the codes before your inspection....... Read the post by Scotty on Readiness Status:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=drive+cycle

Also see the TYPICAL DRIVE CYCLE posted by SCOTTY in that same thread, if you run that ROUTINE you will be ready for inspection..

Thanks for your reply BodybyFisher, I have not disconnected the battery since, I replaced the sensor a month ago.I will try with a few more complete drive cycles. I have have read Scotty's post. Thanks

Try disconnecting the battery and letting the system run through a full 'reboot', Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mgk1967

I know this problem oh so well. I think you have a canadian car, you can tell by the dash that reads 160 mph speedometer. If you do have a canadian car you will have to have the computer reprogrammed at the dealer. I went through hell trying to get my monitors to go ready on my 97 sts. The computer is not USA ready and most people don't know what the problem is even the dealer didn't know until they called GM and asked after I took the dealer to do it. The dealer doesn't kwow what the programming does but I think it is to trick the computer to thinking the catalatic converter overhead is installed. On the canadian sts it does not have a over heat sensor for the converter. Good Luck!

Druhl,Thanks for the response. Before I posted my problem, I did a search and seen, that you had the same problem that I am having now, but how to correct it was not posted. My STS was a Canadian version, that was bought through a leasing company auction in 2000.I try avoiding any dealership,and repair things myself.I guess, this time, it might be the only answer for my problem. My I ask what you were charged for this service? Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Try disconnecting the battery and letting the system run through a full 'reboot', Mike

BodybyFisher, Again Thanks,I will try that.I received a reply about having a Canadian STS, which mine is. I have read that some 1997 Canadian cars are not fully obdII complant, since Canada had until 1998 to do so.

Mike.

I received a reply about having a Canadian STS, which mine is. I have read that some 1997 Canadian cars are not fully obdII complant, since Canada had until 1998 to do so.

Mike.

My memory could be faulty (and probably is), but this is what I am remembering. A vehicle delivered to a North American dealer is considered a "domestic" delivery under NAFTA regulations and all US EPA requirements would apply.

In order to be considered an "export" and exempt from US EPA regulations, your '97 Cadillac would have been loaded on a ship and delivered to a port on another continent.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

They wanted to charge me $200 for the computer program but they didn't end up charging me because they changed the computer and I paid for that a couple of weeks later and that didn't help. Even though they changed the computer they still didn't program it correctly. If the dealer doesn't know the problem make sure you insist on them comtacting GM. Gm has to send the program to the dealer and the dealer installs it in your car and they told me GM charges the dealer and they pass it on to you. I am sure you won't be able to correct the problem yourself. Most likely any GM dealer can reprogram your car but I had the Cadillac dealer program mine. good luck.

They wanted to charge me $200 for the computer program but they didn't end up charging me because they changed the computer and I paid for that a couple of weeks later and that didn't help. Even though they changed the computer they still didn't program it correctly. If the dealer doesn't know the problem make sure you insist on them comtacting GM. Gm has to send the program to the dealer and the dealer installs it in your car and they told me GM charges the dealer and they pass it on to you. I am sure you won't be able to correct the problem yourself. Most likely any GM dealer can reprogram your car but I had the Cadillac dealer program mine. good luck.

Druhl,

I just had my car's computer reprogrammed today by a Cadillac Dealer.They told me, now I have to drive the car through a couple of drive cycles to reset the monitors. I called 3 Cadillac dealers and received 3 different prices.I ended up paying 250.00 dollars.On the way home I was curious and stopped at the emission place, and they were not ready still.I have until Monday before I lose my liscense.As far as you remember, did they have to install any other parts, or was it all through programming only.

I received a reply about having a Canadian STS, which mine is. I have read that some 1997 Canadian cars are not fully obdII complant, since Canada had until 1998 to do so.

Mike.

My memory could be faulty (and probably is), but this is what I am remembering. A vehicle delivered to a North American dealer is considered a "domestic" delivery under NAFTA regulations and all US EPA requirements would apply.

In order to be considered an "export" and exempt from US EPA regulations, your '97 Cadillac would have been loaded on a ship and delivered to a port on another continent.

I purchased the car used in 2000, it was a lease vehicle.How the car got through customs or titled in Illinois, I have no clue, now I have to deal with this headache.The car is Canadian for sure,It was verified by Cadillac.

Yeah, whatever happened to that guy? He sure had a crapload of posts.

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1997 sts with 86000 miles. I recently took my car in for the State of Illinois Emmission test. I had just replaced the Mass air flow senor, and had the code cleared a month ago.I drove the car for 550 miles, city and highway, along with completing 3 drive cycles that I had viewed on this Great site, still the catalyst efficiency status,oxygen sensor system staus ,and the heated oxygen system status monitors will not reset. Is there anyone out there that can guide me in the right direction, on solving this problem.

Thanks

My 100K mi 96 deville was rejected by the State on Connecticut the other day. Their test indicated a loss on transmission speed signal and torque converter lockup issue. I was not happy, since these two codes were shown as history not current on the DIC. The inspector insisted that they were current codes and that I would have to drive a 500 mile cycle to get the computer ready for another test. It seems that Connecticut will reject the car if there are any codes at all, even non emission related codes!

I summarily disconnected the battery, reconnected the battry and was retested at another inspection station 15 miles away and was successful.

Blue_Eldo

Hello Everyone.

I just had the pcm reprogrammed by a Cadillac Dealer for the latest updates that are out. The pcm now has the software part numbers 16256706,16245406, 16244226 installed.I drove the car through a couple of drive cycles and the 3 monitors still will not set.They are the cat,o2s, and the o2 heat.I did a scan on the pcm and there are two codes P0603 and a P1630.I hope the P0603 is from the pcm being reprogram, and the 1603 is the theft deterent learn. I cleared both of them.Since this car should have the correct software now, should I try to perform more drive cycles.Since I dont receive any codes for those three monitors circuits,can I asume they are all right,or can there be a common denominator that is stopping them from giving a code if there is a fault.I have no idea what else to try, and dont want to pay $130.00 an hour yet to a dealer to explore.Any help will be appreciated. Thank's.

Mike Mgkuzur@aol.com

mgk1967,

It has been a few days since your post so you should have a clear computer by now. You had to start the car cold and drive it to complete a drive cycle, you have to do this a couple of times. Contrary to some people, doing the " gm drive cycle " as writen is BS. All you have to do is drive the car for a few days and every system will test. But I will say it is a good idea to look at the gm drive cycle as definded by gm to get an idea at what the computer is looking for. By the way did any of the dealers know about the Canadian car isue when you talked to them? Later

mgk1967,

I missed your last post on my previous post. I hope you didn't misunderstand me when I said you need to have your computer programmed. I tryed to be clear that the problem with the Canadian cars is the monitors will never go ready until the dealer installs a program patch not a upgrade. If you have the dealer install a computer upgrade to the latest programming it will not correct the problem, the monitors will never go ready until the patch is installed. The dealer changed my computer and programmed it and it still would not clear the monitors until the patch was installed. Like a said before I think it is because the converter overheat sensor is not installed on my car so the patch makes the computer think the overheat sensor is installed, but that is just what I think because no one could verify what the patch actually did. I don't think the dealer knew. Later.

mgk1967,

It has been a few days since your post so you should have a clear computer by now. You had to start the car cold and drive it to complete a drive cycle, you have to do this a couple of times. Contrary to some people, doing the " gm drive cycle " as writen is BS. All you have to do is drive the car for a few days and every system will test. But I will say it is a good idea to look at the gm drive cycle as definded by gm to get an idea at what the computer is looking for. By the way did any of the dealers know about the Canadian car isue when you talked to them? Later

Druhl, The dealers in Chicago know about this problem, they play dumb. I went back and fourth with different dealers and found someone that was fair. I did realize that those are only update patches and the whole computer didn't need to be programmed.My driving privlages are suspended right now.I will get them back in a few days and put the car through the test.

Archived