CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 Running rich

I just changed my the spark plugs in my 4.9 after about 109k. The engine started to run rough esp. at start up, so I changed the plugs and it improved greatly. I am not the original owner, but I assume they were the original plugs. Anyways, at least five of the plugs had a good amount of carbon fouling on them. I assume this means that my engine is running rich. Could there be another cause? I know its simple to fix the problem with a carb, but can I fix it with a fuel injection engine? There are no engine codes.

Sorry for taking so long to write back, I've been out of town. By FPR you mean the fuel pressure regulator right? I'll have to check on that one.

It uses about a quart per 2000 miles. I had an old(and I mean old) mechanic look at one of the plugs and he said its carbon from running rich. He said if it was oil, it would be, well, oilier. This stuff is just dry and black and I've compaired it to one of those "used spark plugs tell you" posters, and it definitely matches the running rich one.

yes, FPR = fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose while the engine is running and see if there is any fuel present at the nipple. If there is, replace the FPR.

Archived