CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.9 water pump removal

lacseville

i posted earlier about my leaky water pump because of a stripped bolt... well, i tried a larger SAE bolt, and a self tapping bolt with it basically just pushed in. i tried a longer bolt, but there were no good threads left. I did notice that when i pushed them in, they would kinda recoil back, like i could push a tiny bit and they'd come back a tiny bit! does this mean that the guy who put in on already put a helicoil in it to try to fix it? is there something else that would cause this? also, when I put the larger self tapping bolt it, and pulled it back out, there was some yellow stuff on it? (maybe epoxy) I"m thinking I should go pay someone a visit (a gun shop and the *smurf* who installed the pump) No not really, but I think I got the shaft for sure.

I'm going to remove the water pump and try to get it fixed. Should I attempt this? I'm more than capable, but I don't know if I have the time. How long does it take with decent tools? how many hours would it take and shop and how much should it cost? I'm in college and neither have time nor money!

If the pump in removed, what procedure do you guys recommend to fix it? Don't have a lotta room, as you know!

Lacseville,

I am suprised the self tap bolt didn't work, somehow it worked for me.Anyways doing the pump yourself is not that difficult but there are sure easier ones out there.

If you try it yourself i personnally think your best option would be to try to re-tap the hole to the next size up.Iam not sure what size the bolt is my quess 4 or 6 mm so you would need to re-tap 6 or 8 mm threads depending on the original size.

What this means is you will need to drill the correct size hole then tap the hole.

good luck and keep us posted.

I am pretty sure that you can put a nut on the back side of the water pump plate. It's a tight fit, but it can be done. If you can't reach it with your fingers put the nut on a magnetic retriever and do it that way. Or if you can only get one finger back there put some RTV on your finger to glue the nut to your finger and put it on that way. You have to be patient with it. Removing the water pump won't really help any. If it's not leaking I wouldn't worry about it. If you are using a rebuilt water pump, then you'll have to do the job again in a few years anyway. You can fix it then.

i don't understand why I would put a nut on the backside. What good would that do? And what do I put the nut on? I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say that. I got the bolt out comletely, and another bigger one is still too small. It is leaking I almost discovered too late. It's not pouring out... Like a gallon in a 2.5 hr drive... yikes!

The water pump is mounted to a plate, which is mounted to the engine. The bolts that attaches the water pump to the plate goes stright through to the other side. You can put a nut back there to tighten it up. There is a few bolts that you can't get to, in which case you would have to use a self tapping bolt that others on this board have referred to.

Archived