CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sleeper

cpk

I know this would be an insurmountable project, but I was doing some research and came up with this idea...

Remember those late 80's Eldorados? They weighed in at about 3400lbs. That's about 100lbs less than an Allante.

By '96 a Deville was weighing in at nearly 4000lbs.

Wouldn't it be fun to drop a souped-up ODB1 Northstar powertrain into a stripped '88 Eldorado?

Those early Eldos aren't very popular - you can pick them up today for next to nothing. Northstar engines are just a bit more pricey. Still, it would be something different and you'd surprise a lot of "performance cars" I'll bet.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. For the Allante, they were able to put in the Northstar/4T80-E combination so it should also be possible for the Eldorado. The electronics would be the main bottleneck so it would be important to have the whole donor car so everything could be transferred. By the way, the 1988 Sedan Deville is about 200 lbs lighter than the Eldorado. Doesn't make sense since it's a larger car but that's the case.

IPB Image

Remember those late 80's Eldorados? They weighed in at about 3400lbs. That's about 100lbs less than an Allante.

By '96 a Deville was weighing in at nearly 4000lbs.

The weight difference won't be that much since the Northstar/4T80-E weighs roughly 200 lbs more than the 4.x/4T60.

Archived