CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cleaning Console

ScottM6193

I have a 2002 STS. I would like to clean the wood-grain panel that surrounds the shifter. I'm talking about the largest piece that runs from the ash tray back to the arm rest. It seems that whole area would be easier to clean and get into all the little nooks and crannys if I just removed the panel, cleaned everything and put it back. Does anyone on here know how to remove that panel without damaging it? Thanks.

I would not remove anything if I could avoid it. Use as strong a vacuum cleaner you can find to suction the area clean, use a soft cloth dampened with Murphy's Wood Soap to clean the wood, then use carnauba wax to treat and protect the wood grain from the UV effects of sunlight.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It is very easy. The wood part of the console just "snaps" in place. If you grasp the area or hole where the shifter is towards the back of the console facing the cupholder and pull up firmly, it will simply "pop" out. To remove the entire piece, you will have to move the shift lever towards driver, disengage the wiring for the heated seats (if equipped) and traction control, and then remove pushing down to make way for the ashtray.

Max

Archived