CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant

mikeal1892

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of Prestone or any other coolant additive having adverse reaction to the Dex coolant ? Because the dealership had called us out there today. I can only asume well I know that its either that bars head gasket fix stuff. My surge tank and rad, thermosat was all plugged up its like a lime jell. It would remind you like lime build up in the bottom of a hot water heater. But its a mess now were working over the 3 grand marker :(

Michael -

OK,

I have changed my mind after thinking about it. It had to have been the Bars headgasket sealer because the car didnt run another 35 mins after that ! So, thats what it had to have been.

any ideas ?

Michael -

Not sure I understand your post...

1) Dex-cool is orange/red (so its not that)

2) Bars Leak coolant supplement is brown/tan (so its not that)

3) There is nothing that can be added to any cooling system that will repair a blown head gasket.

If you added some goo in the hopes that #3 isn't true... then yes the green goo in you radiator is probably some form of head gasket sealer...

The really bad news is now in addition to the expensive head gasket work that unfortunately your car needs, you will probably need to replace the radiator and the heater core as well. As while its true that liquid head gasket fixes can't fix blown gaskets... Unfortunately they do a fine job of gooing up the small passages in your heater core and radiator.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Yes,

I know. It was Bars Head Gasket sealer. Its fairly newer to the product. I called a freind in Florida and he said hes heard of this before with a Maxima. And I called the sales rep we buy our Car Quest products from. It doesnt say anywhere on the bottle it shouldnt be used in Dex Cool or a Cadillac for that matter. But the sales rep wasnt very happy to hear of this and it being one of my personal cars so we shall see.

Michael

From my experience head gasket and block sealers cannot be added to coolant. If Bars Leaks "Head Gasket Repair" requires flushing coolant before adding, and you failed to flush as directed, then I suspect that's the problem. Also, these products usually require flushing after leak is sealed.

Aloha,

MAC is right, you must flush the cooling system before using any of those sealers. They will not work with any coolant. Also you should know that they don't work, I have tried all that I have found. To replace the gasket is the only proper thing to do.

I wish you well Ed

On top of all that, I'm curious as to exactly where in the cooling system this material was installed. If it was put into the coolant reservoir, an area without good flow into the engine, it would just sit there and goo up. Like the sealant tabs, it should have been placed (for Northstars at least) into the lower rad hose, that way it would get into the block where it MIGHT have done something other than plug your tank and air elimination lines.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived