CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OFF Topic! Ford Question!

CadiKing

I know this is off topic, but there are so many bright individuals here,

I thought I'd ask for guidance... Here goes...

Daughters car: 1995 Mercury Trio, automatic trans.

Transmission acted fine until a week ago last Sunday. She drove car 50 miles on highway & city,

parked for 3 hours, car would not shift out of first gear when she left to go home. I drove it and

by moving the shifter into neutral and back to drive while the car was trying to find second gear,

I was able to get the trans to start acting normally. Later that night it was stuck in 1st again.

I had it towed to a backyard machanic. He replaced front motor mount as I could tell it was allowing

the motor to move about 1" up and down. I thought, and may still think, the problem was possibly

caused by a movement of the motor and transmission in relation to the transmission linkage. He

could not get it to work and gave up. The mechanic said no codes were set.

I have since driven the car three times. When it starts off in frst, it cannot find second gear on its own, consequently going into limbo, i.e. no gear. If I time the movement of the selector from drive to

nuetral and back to drive correctly, I can get the trans to shift from first into third (?) gear every time.

If I am persistant enough, I can get the trans to start acting normally, i.e. shifts through all the gears normally until I shut it off! It always has downshifted harshly on its own. The car has 153,k miles on it,

and is not worth a trans rebuild. I am trying to keep it on the road until my daughter can save up some

money to buy hopefully a used Caddy.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1.) What makes the transmission shift fine sometimes and not shift at other times?

2.) How long can it go by me forcing it to shift with the lever in and out of nuetral?

3.) Isn't there a shift selenoid or vaccuum diaphram that needs replaced to help it shift?

4.) What about filter and fluid change? Fluid smells a little like it is burnt.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks in advance..

jim

I don't know if this may help. I had a '91 Ford Taurus with a similar problem. My Taurus had a digital speedometer which had stopped working. The transmission relied on a speed sensor unit connected to the speedo and my transmission started to shift erratically once the speedo stopped, as if it was hunting for gears sometimes, and other times shifting perfectly. Stop and go traffic was a nightmare. Check for a speed sensor unit malfunction.

I don't know if this may help. I had a '91 Ford Taurus with a similar problem. My Taurus had a digital speedometer which had stopped working. The transmission relied on a speed sensor unit connected to the speedo and my transmission started to shift erratically once the speedo stopped, as if it was hunting for gears sometimes, and other times shifting perfectly. Stop and go traffic was a nightmare. Check for a speed sensor unit malfunction.

Thanks for the reply...I just replaced the two speed sensors on

my 300m, as it was stuck in second gear...

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THESE TRANSMISSIONS HAVE SPEED SENSORS?

thank you,

jim

most newer transmissions use solenoids to control the shifting. They can stick, crack, break or leak.

I'd drop the pan and check the solenoids for cracks and replace the Orings that seal them (if they come off easily, not sure on that car). Changing trans fluid will sometimes free them but as many miles as you have on it I'd suspect one or more may need replacement.

If the trans is an A4LD http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109

This site should help on the 1 - 2 selonoid replacement.

If the trans is similar to the AOD used in my 6 cyl. 95 mustang, I found a defective switch assy on the transmission. It is installed on the outside of the transmission, keyed to the shift lever. It is supposed to tell the computer what gear has been selected by the shift lever. A simple sumnation of resistors does the job.

My symptoms were primarily severe down shifts, going from overdrive to 2nd gear at freeway speeds. I think 2nd is the limp home gear on most automatics.

The switch mounts to the trans via a couple slotted bolt holes. A loose switch, or dirty connections, could cause the switch to send the wrong message. I bught a new switch @ $100.

Regards,

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I plan to get back under the hood tonight.

I have tried to squeeze every connector I could find.

The switch adjacent to the shifter hookup is covered in

gunk. That may be the reason for the severe downshifts.

I plan to change filter and fluid by the weekend.

Thought I'd check with All Data at the library.

I'll keep you posted.

thanks again,

jim

Archived