CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Changer Install

BMWburner

I'm gathering the needed hardware to complete my navigation touchscreen swap. As much as I dislike CD changers with magazines, I'd like to install the factory changer so I can listen to music with the navigation DVD in the dash. You can find the changers cheap enough on ebay, so that's my next purchase. Would anyone happen to know if I pick up the same year changer if it's plug and play, or am I going to have run wires all the way to the amp? I'll install one either way, it's just a matter of convience. Any info would help me out.

Thanks in advance,

--Ben

BMWburner,

Yes, the CD changer installation is a "plug-and-play" job in your vehicle, as all '98+ Sevilles were pre-wired for the changer. (It appears that this was also the case for all '00+ Devilles, except that the changer wiring is located behind (i.e., toward the front of the vehicle) the back wall of the glovebox.) If you remove all of the "storage tray" pieces from the lower section of the Sevilles center console compartment, you should find at the bottom a black, 10-way wiring harness connector; this is for the CD changer. If you purchase the specific changer for the Seville, with is unique mounting bracket and plastic "box" compartment, then the assembly will drop in place of the storage trays that you have to remove to expose the wiring harness for the changer. There is no programming required for the changer to function -- if everything is connected and functioning properly, the changer should power up immediately and communicate with the remainder of the audio system.

The important thing for you to consider is that you MUST acquire a CD changer used in '02+ vehicles, NOT any earlier model. The serial data network protocol used to communicate commands between the radio and the changer was changed beginning in the '02 model year, which was also the first year for the touchscreen DVD navigation radio. Earlier changers will look identical and install identically, but will not function properly in your vehicle.

Have you already installed the DVD radio in your vehicle? If so, I am curious to know what problems, if any, that you encountered during the installation, specifically, making the radio/HVAC control assembly fit properly so that the crescent-shaped trim panel that snaps in place above the radio fits properly, without a large gap. I practiced this installation on a '03 Seville that was destined for the scrap heap at my workplace, and I found that the location of the main wiring harness connector on the backside of the navigation radio is different from that of the regular CD/cass. radio; this difference tends to pinch the wires into a very confined space between the back of the radio and the plastic support bracket that is molded as a part of the main instrument panel, and this interference tends to keep the radio/HVAC assembly from seat all the way down into its cavity. (This isn't a problem for the CD/cass. radio because its connector is located higher up and to the left of where it is for the navigation radio, and there is much more clearance for the wires in that area.) I'm unsure how the GM factory managed to do this navigation radio installation quickly and reliably, but it occurred to me that milling away some of the plastic support bracket to the left of the hole for the radio's support stud would give the necessary clearance around the wiring connector, alleviating the problem I described above.

Also, be advised that that the navigation radio must have a microphone connection in order for its voice command features to be utilized. The "factory" installation used a microphone "pass through" from the OnStar module, so that both the radio and the OnStar system could use the same microphone (located in the bottom of the inside rear view mirror), but without connecting the microphone directly in parallel with the two devices. In order to make a factory-like wiring connection in your vehicle, you would need to run a pair of twisted/shielded wires from the dedicated microphone "output" terminals at the OnStar module (behind the right rear seat back) to the input pins on the navigation radio's four-pin secondary connector (next to the GPS antenna connector). Alternatively, you could acquire a second, "stand alone" OnStar microphone, such as the kind used in GM full-size pick-up trucks and SUVs, and wire it directly to the radio's input; then you could mount the microphone wherever it was convenient, such as next to the overhead console. I suppose that you could also try splicing into the existing wire pair from the mirror microphone to the OnStar unit, but the "load" on the microphone from the parallel-wired modules (radio and OnStar) may be too great for the single microphone element.

What GPS antenna are you going to use for the navigation radio, and where do you plan to mount it?

RDWRIOR

I appreciate your response. Lots of good info. I was reasonably certain that 02+ changers were plug and play, and at this point I'm also considering an aftermarket ipod interface that will emulate a factory changer and allow the use the factory controlls and steering wheel controlls to controll an ipod. Still looking into ipod interfaces at this point, only because I value the real estate in the center console and dislike magazine style changers.

As of current I've yet to complete the install. It should happen some time this week depending on how much time I have. The wires that lead into the harness will have to be modified for the install so I plan to extend the wires so they will be long enough to fit properly. The unit I'll be using was salvaged from an 04' Deville and included the needed Alpine antenna along with the under dash mounting bracket for the antenna. I'm debating purchasing the longer version of the antenna as it's a pretty standard Alpine part. It really should be in the rear window, but if it will work under the dash I'll leave it up there.

I'll be using the Onstar mic for the GPS. It's easy enough to have a Cadillac dealer reset your Onstar set up with a techII so that the steering wheel button will interface with the GPS and not Onstar. The only problem I've found is that I can't find the "black" connector on the GPS for the mic. No one seems to have it, so I'm going to have to get creative and solder the hot and ground wires for the mic to the pins, heatshrink them and fill the connector with something to secure the connections. We'll see how that goes, but I troubleshoot and repair electronics for a living and done worse on repair jobs lol, so it should work. Or so i tell myself.

As far as getting the assembly to fit together properly, frabrication will be needed to provide a factroy fit but shouldn't be anything a Dremel tool can't take care of. I'll let ya' know once I get started.

Also, if you're interested I have the wiring changes needed...

Navigation System Install...

Thanks again, it's good to know someone else on this board is interested in electronics.

Regards

--Ben

I believe the 5 pin connector thingy is available at the dealer, it is GM part number 15380274

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Bummer!

I'll look some more... GM is still using that same DVD head unit on 06 SRXs... I can't see how the connector has been discoed since they are still installing them on the "line"

caddy.jpg

Greg

OK, I'm guessing here...

My service guide gives descriptions and part numbers for each connector in the car...

The one in question here is described as a

"15380274 5-Way F Micro-Pack 100 Series (BLK)

If you look up a "Black 5-Way Female Micro-Pack 100 Series" connector in the Delphi catalogue you are presented with

P/N 12064982...

Link to Delphi Connectors

I think this is worth a shot... EVERY OTHER connector's part number in my service guide matches with the Delphi part numbers...This is the only one that doesn't and there is only one 5 way Micro Pack Conccector...

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Greg

I'm not sure if this will work, but here is a link to a picture of the connector... Sure looks like the one!

Link to Connector Picture

Click On Prints and Doc Tab and then on the "Line Drawing" "GO"

caddy.jpg

Greg

Greg:

I appreciate the effort more than you know. However, I studied my Nav unit and while the connector is very, very close to working, the clip is on the wrong side. I guess I could file it off and epoxy the connector in place. Either way, I'm having a hard time finding the connector, period.

--Ben

Greg:

I appreciate the effort more than you know. However, I studied my Nav unit and while the connector is very, very close to working, it's not an exact fit. I guess I could file off the excess material and epoxy the connector in place. Either way, I'm having a hard time finding the connector, period.

--Ben

I bought an ipod nano 2gb last week for $200, and have 500 songs in it right now. Ordered the ipod interface that should be here tomorrow, off of Ebay. Once I get it installed tomorrow or Thursday, I will have a post to unpdate it's functionality. I figure having 500 songs on board, without having the car filled with CDs is an excellent choice. And it is quite easy to change out or add new songs on your home computer. I was considering adding a changer into mine (as it was mia when I bought the car), but when someone mentioned the Ipod idea on here, I decided to go that way. Plus I bought the gf an Ipod and the Bose Sound Dock for X-mas, so now, I can use that too.! Just an added bonus. Another bonus is that through the Itunes website, you can purchase most songs for $1 per song (some are $1.99)...........so you don't have to buy CDs that you will never listen to 90% of anymore. You can save them to your computer, add to Ipod, burn to your own CDs.............so I like that idea too. And they have every song you can think of available.........old or new.

Archived