CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Long term effect of 20inch rims on my/your cadi

Sup Guys,

I have a chance to get new rims because i ran over a HUGE pot hole and dented one of my rims, so im thinking on upgrading to 20inch rims. i asked around to see if it would cause problems with the suspension, brakes, axels, over all performance and this is what i got. a friend told me that i need to upgreade to bigger brakes because the rims are 5 to 8 times of the wieght of the OEM tire/rims therefor putting more work for the brakes and for the suspension my alliennment would go out of spec and making my axels bend eventualy braking them. as far as ride comfort i have heard that i would feel the road more due to the lowprofile tires, they told me it would be like rideing a lowerd car, for the performance part i was told that with bigger rims i would stress the engine out more because again them being bigger and having more weight the engine would have to push harder to turn the wheels, i already know that my accel. would slow down because thats what happend with my import when i put bigger rims on it. if you have 20' rims and have some advise on how to go about on this matter or know how to pls response any tip you guys can give would be great. thanx :):P

If your car is going to be mostly show and not go you could do it. I'm sure the 20" rims would look sweet!

But if it's your daily driver I would have to agree with the advice you have already gotten.

Good luck

Rock

THisonests,

If you really wanted to look good and not have any real negative effects to speak of, you might think about getting some 17" chrome rims with the vogue white walls, like I'm sportin'. You get the same visual effect of not seeing very much blackwall, but you don't get the harsh ride, 'cause they're 55 series.

I know overall, it's hard to argue with the looks of a nice set of 20's on an STS, but I've never been able to make that commitment yet, so I have 17"CTS, 17"DTS, 16" SLS, and 18" chromes (POLO 767's) for my two Sevilles. I will probably eventually get some 20's, I've heard that the 255 30 R20's ride too harshly, which is not hard to believe, but the 245 35 R20's (hard to find) ride a little softer.

You can't go wrond with the 17" Vogues though... they're tight.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

i have a set of 20 inch chrome on my 97 eldorado. nothing looks better and nothing gives it the same effect . you do sacrafice the ride a little bit but remember it is a cadillac, it still rides better than most cars . i did not put bigger brakes on it but i do have crossed drilled discs on the front and back. i put the brakes on before the wheels and with the wheels on it did not make it stop any slower ,still on a dime. this is gonna be the second season i will have the wheels on for and i have not had any negative effects yet.

the only prob. i actually have had, but it is not even really a problem is that the tires rub the littlest bit when i am backing up and turning or stopping and turning, but i have to be turning all the way.

Phat,

what size was your tires? if you have a 35 series it shouldnt rub at all. but oh yeah you have 97 eldo with your back rims tucked right? with the dubs that looks sick. ive seen mine with the 20s and they look freakin good, but is it practical? my reasoning is that if im going to be spending close to 3gs on a set of rims /w tires i want to make sure that it wount cause any more drama if you know what i mean. but to flyers point the 17s wuth the 55 series sounds like a good bet, the style without the "pull me over cause im a drug dealer look" cause around here if you have a cadillac on some dubs you gonna get pulled over and searched...LoL..the truth sucks.

I just put on 18s, i would have went with 20s but since im only 17 i dont have that much money to spend on rims. your caddy will look sick with 20s. What kind of rims are you putting on?

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

Thisonests,

'04 CTS 17" rims with 235 55 R17 Vogues. Cardio-doc has a set on sale on ebay right now for about $1700. He's good peeps, he'll do you right, and $1700 for oem rims and Vogues? You won't beat that very easily.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Oh yeah, they're a polished aluminum alloy, not chrome. But they have a nice shine...a little bit cleaner and sharper than chrome, but not quite as bright.

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

user posted image

The look of a 20" wheel with what - 30-series tires? will be cool, no doubt. At some point, wheel makers will propably "paint rubber" on whatever size wheel is ordered! :D

Hey, if you damaged a wheel with a pothole on 16" or 17" wheels, then be ready for a lot more damage with 20" wheels. Simply put, a major part of the the tire's job is to protect the wheel and suspension with enough sidewall to flex and rebound forever without complaint.

As you already know, as the sidelwall/tread ratio is lowered, the ride will get rougher, but "handling" will improve to some degree (less sidewall flex). That handling is usually appreciated on smooth road tracks, not city streets.

I don't think the wheel weight is a big issue, but you may want to read up on "unsprung weight" regarding suspension design. More important may be overall geometry (width, offset, etc) and how the wheel/tire relates to the rest of the vehicle. Had friend install some big tires on an older GTO, only to slice them up when he punched it hard and the rear end dropped too much. Not the same problem with FWD I suppose.

The low ratio sidewall itself can also put strain on the suspension because it has to soak up jolts that the tire's sidewall used to handle.

If the outside tire diameter is the same, then the power delivery should be equal. The amount of tread on the road could change a bit I suppose it it was too "tightly wrapped". There may not be a lot of unbiased performance evaluation of 30-40 series tires in the real world (not a racing circut).

Tire mounting and balancing are other issues are probably very interesting with ever-increasing diameters (ie: highest rotational speeds possible).

I don't even want to think about how you plan to hang onto the wheels (bring 'em inside at night)?

All said, it is your ride and it will look sweet!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

i made up my mind i will be getting 18 with some meat on em like a 235/45/18 or somthing so that i still get that ride comfort and the durabilty ill to get as fat of tires as i can without going in to that rear weel drive zone. thanx for all the imput folks B)

Hey guys:

Flyer- Thanks for the kind words. But your Caddy's always look sweet.

One more comment on 'dubs' - the price you pay. You pay for them, then you pay in sacrificed ride quality. Performance (both acceleration and braking) diminish. Even fuel economy. It's one of those things that is just for first-time enthusiasts and the super-rich. First-time enthusiasts say "darn the torpedoes" and go for it - then down the line get sick of the sacrifices. The very wealthy have several vehicles and don't have to put up with the sacrifices nearly as much.

Go with 17's. Yes - I have Polished '04 17" CTS wheels both with an without new Vogue's on them. And polished can be 'polished' up all you want with metal polish - go to town! It's a very sharp-looking alternative to chrome which is everywhere these days. Polished wheels are a class-act.

Chrome STS 17" wheels are very nice, but frankly the style has been around awhile now.

And lastly -I'm working on a deal to fit 18" XLR wheels....on FWD Caddy's! I'll let you all know if I can make this happen but if I can - the look will be killer!

regards,

~Doc

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISA...sort=3&since=-1

Archived