CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How To Remove Rear Rotors On 96 STS

I have to have the rear rotors cut on my 96 STS. I changed the pads and thought that was causing my rear pulsing braking problem, but it must be the rotors. Q: To get the rotors off what bolts have to come off? I read in the repair manual about bolts holding the caliper to the nuckle have to be replaced if taken off, is this true? I want to get starting in the morning. Thanks Much.

You have to remove the caliper and remove the caliper support that attaches to the knuckle (should be attached with two bolts). Once that's removed, you can slip the rotor right off.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Let us know how you come out. I need to do the front and rears on my 96 STS one of these days. Had the front rotors turned last fall before a trip to Colorado and it stopped a hard brake throb in the front end. It made mountain canyon carving much more enjoyable. My pads still had some life in them so got by for $20 to have both rotors turned at my friendly NAPA. Think I will buy all new rotors when I do the complete job as my fronts are at a minimum thickness now and new ones are only $40. Car has 107,000 miles on it so I've gotten my money's worth out of the first set.

Good Luck!

Archived