CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar in Olds ?

gygmy

I saw an ad in my local newspaper for an Oldsmobile 98 ho with a nothstar motor. Did they really make theses cars or is this just some confused old dude?

And they put ONE (1) of them in a SEMA "442" Intrigue... Way cool swap... and as usual GM never made it

(small tear)

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I saw an ad in my local newspaper for an Oldsmobile 98 ho with a nothstar motor. Did they really make theses cars or is this just some confused old dude?

The Intrigue used a V6 called the shortstar, as it was a 4cam engine derived from the Northstar. This engine may have found it's way into the 98 but I am not certain of this. The shortstar is very popular in sand buggies as it it very light and makes good horsepower, stock about 250 HP, I think, with a fairly open exhaust.

Speaking of sand buggies, I have seen several Northstar powered buggies with twin turbos! The turnkey buggies start at about $50,000 and go up to $90,000 plus. The 4 speed trans that must be used for a bullet proof combination is over $10,000. A ratchet shifting trans, recently marketed, is over $14,000!

Regards,

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

The Intrigue used a V6 called the shortstar, as it was a 4cam engine derived from the Northstar. This engine may have found it's way into the 98 but I am not certain of this. The shortstar is very popular in sand buggies as it it very light and makes good horsepower, stock about 250 HP, I think, with a fairly open exhaust.

The 3.5 Litre Shortstar (one of the best V6s ever made...by ANY manufacture... IMO) was only installed in Intrigues and in V6 Powered Auroras. Stock rating was 220HP (from memory)...

GM discontinued it with the death of the Oldsmobile Division (large tears)

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived