CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Filler Pipe

BigCat83

Hi,

Hope you all can help me out. The gas filler pipe on my '97 Eldorado is rotted and leaking and must be replaced. Has anyone done this? It doesn't look like a difficult job - pipe mounted at the filler door into a hose and clamp on the gas tank?

Anything special to look for?

Thanks

Not sure if your 97 Eldo has a similiar setup as my 94sts but it took my mechanic some fanagling and some proper cussing to get that fill tube lined up. I watched from about 10 feet away (we were shooting the breeze) and it was certainly a tight squeeze. Hopefully your Eldo allows a little more room to maneuver.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Not sure if your 97 Eldo has a similiar setup as my 94sts but it took my mechanic some fanagling and some proper cussing to get that fill tube lined up. I watched from about 10 feet away (we were shooting the breeze) and it was certainly a tight squeeze. Hopefully your Eldo allows a little more room to maneuver.

Thanks Regis. Probably not. :P I got under my car tonight to take a look when I saw the gas dripping on the driveway. The pipe looks like it's gonna be a pain in the *smurf* trying to slide it into position.

It looks like just the screws in the body and the tank end of the pipe going into a length of hose with a couple of clamps. Did your guy slide the pipe in from the fuel filler door side?

One thing I think I'll do is give the new pipe a good paint job and dose of rust proofing.

Thanks,

Roger

I installed my new fuel filler pipe today. Not a bad job, anyone can do it. I only replaced the pipe, however, there are two molded rubber hoses that connect it to the fuel tank (fill pipe and tank vent). I recommend replacing these hoses also. My pipe was badly corroded with several holes. While I was changing the pipe I decided to replace the FPR in my car as I was having hot start problems - easy job and my car runs like new - mileage is 77815.

Archived