CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm confused

Spurlee

Is the water pump n my 1996 El Dorado driven from the left-side serpentine belt or from the right-side small belt that is driven off the front bank cam?

My cooling system failed the other day and I traced the problem to the small broken belt on the right side. Looked as if heat dried it out. An easy fix. In retrospect, it seems sort of lightweight to be driving the pump - what does it do?

Thanks!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Spurlee, while you're at it, make sure the tensioner for that small water pump belt is good and free. If it hangs it can cause the belt to slip, a factor that may add to heat and wear. With time, this has been known to happen. A liitle light oil, carefully used will keep it nice and free, keeping the correct tension to that belt.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Spurlee, while you're at it, make sure the tensioner for that small water pump belt is good and free. If it hangs it can cause the belt to slip, a factor that may add to heat and wear. With time, this has been known to happen. A liitle light oil, carefully used will keep it nice and free, keeping the correct tension to that belt.

Thanks, I will do so.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Just had the same belt fail this past weekend. 97 STS, 87,000 miles. Same observation as well. What was left, dried, cracked. Like some, didn't even know it was there until it failed. A fairly easy maintance operation, under ten dollars and may procede serpentine belt replacment due to location and heat build up. Yes, check the idler but can honestly say I have never had a belt fail do to what I saw.

Archived