CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

NOS type subwoofer

Bentham

Willie... Right with you on that second battery. I am running 2 - 1 Farad caps and still blew the last delco alternator in a year and a half. Look for the optima "yellow top" only for a second battery. If you dont do this for a few weeks... I am going to install one this week and I will tell you how it works out. MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

here the pics. kind of crappy cuz they are off my camera phone.

post-3-1078532313.jpg

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

Heres another pic

file.jpg_3

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

here the pics. kind of crappy cuz they are off my camera phone.

Hummm,....lets see, ....1500 watts divided by 12 volts equals .... (holy cow), ....125 amps. If you are talking about continuous power, ...where did you find the alternator ??

you only need a second battery if you are playing your system with the car motor turned off. otherwise it's completely unnecessary. it's the job of your alternator to supply power to the batt, which supplies it to the farad cap (if necessary, not necessary unless you don't like it if you light dimming) which supplies power to your amp. about 90% of the time, diming lights can be solved by increasing the gauge of the wire from the alternator to the battery and or the ground straps. my last system consisted of 500bd and 1 S10L7 solobaric in a 2.5 cu ft vented box tuned to 29hz and i didn't use a cap. mostly they are a waste unless you are puttin down some serious amps. the common misconception is that you have to have a cap with a system, and big systems need 2 batteries. maybe we shouldn't be posting all this in caddyinfo.com and move to sounddomain.com ?? :D

what i was trying to say, do the bigger ga wire from alt to batt first to see if that fixes it. it should, and it'd be a lot cheaper for ya! it sounds like you have a really nice set-up tho! i didn't calculate the total amps for the system, but a bigger (or second) alternator would also be advisable!!

you only need a second battery if you are playing your system with the car motor turned off.

Unfortunately, a "large capacity" capacitor may not supply enough long-term energy to feed THUNDERING lows, especially when you your listening to "Tupac". A lot of people do not realize you need to consistently push 14.4 volts to a battery to charge it, and consistently falling below this mark will hamper the charging process, hence why the additional energy storage capacity solves the problem.

Look at the "physical" size difference between a 1 farad capacitor and a standard car battery and it will become obvious. The only advantage of a capacitor is that it delivers power instantaneously, so it serves a purpose (in the short term only).

yeh, that's what i tried to say... thanks! ;)

Archived