CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High idle problem.

Chris

Tonight driving around town, I was following some guy in an Olds driving maybe 30mph. I came up behind him with the brakes on, and a minute or so later, noticed I was still on the brakes. I pulled over and popped it into neutral. The engine sped up to 3000. I shut the car off, turned it back on, same thing.

I turned onto a side road and pushed it to 5k rpm, then let off. The idle speed returned to ~1k.

Made a couple more turns. One of them I made at 20mph. I didnt touch the gas and ended up going ~45mph.

I figure there is a cable sticking (to explain the on-off-on-off effect) but where? The gas pedal isnt pressed down (is there any way for OBD to show what the TPS is reading?). When the car is idling, you can press the gas ever-so-slightly and have it rev up proportionately (ie the cable isnt lax).

The only codes are TO21 and SO61. SO61 isnt pertainant and I cant find what TO21 is.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks

-Chris

-Chris

Wow, dead on the money, thanks :). I just took it in to have replaced, $120 plus 0.8hours of labour. Not too bad.

I didnt have much luck searching though. "idle speed control motor" (with and without quotations) came up with 3 pages, almost nothing to do with the idle speed control motor. ISC is too short of a word to search.

-Chris

Archived