CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Where to get the struts installed

Mike S.

I'd first like to say that I've lurked here for a little while, and I've learned a lot already. I bought a 94 Seville SLS for $1700 two days before my 21st birthday in early september. It had 235,000 on it at the time, it's now up to 242,000. I'm a college student right now, and I also scout for the basketball team at school and for a basketball website, which requires a ton of driving. My Seville has been great so far. I bought it with the understanding that it would need the front struts replaced, and I ordered the Boston struts today. I am fairly inclined mechanically (a friend and I swapped a manual into a Toyota Land Cruiser in high school when the auto went out), but I don't have access to the tools or space I would need here on campus to put the struts in. I have done most of my own autowork in the past, and the one time I brought my car into pep boys, they messed up bigtime. I'm driving home next tuesday, about 1,000 miles, from Dallas to Minneapolis. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the type of place to look for to get these struts installed. I'm not about to go back to pep boys, and I'd like to avoid the dealership labor rates if at all possible. Is there any chain that is known to be reliable, or anything specific to check when looking for a shop? I'm reluctant to let anybody else work on my car, so any advice would be appreciated.

If I were you I would find a good FRONT END/ALIGNMENT shop. A good place to start might be to stop into a GOOD collision/auto body shop and ask them who does their alignments etc.... Tell them you want the best honest shop... You could back that up by asking a second auto body shop the same question. You are looking for a good FRONT END man.. Personally I would stay away from Firestone, Goodyear, Poopboys, Midas, Aamco, and Mc Donalds ( laugh.gif ).....

You will probaby only be able to put PASSIVE struts on your car, check Boston Suspensions, Arnot Industries and Strut Masters.... Search this site for info on passive struts

Thanks a lot guys, I'll check with that place on Elm tomorrow (when I get back from Fort Worth actually).  And Scotty, no McDonalds for me, I learned that after a trip to the hospital for food poisoning  laugh.gif

See! I was right! But especially stay away from Aamco, they will also make you sick... laugh.gif

Thanks a lot guys, I'll check with that place on Elm tomorrow (when I get back from Fort Worth actually).  And Scotty, no McDonalds for me, I learned that after a trip to the hospital for food poisoning  laugh.gif

See! I was right! But especially stay away from Aamco, they will also make you sick... laugh.gif

How true.

Do you remember my 'rattling in the front over bumps' problem, which was eventually resolved with stabilizer links and stabilizer bar bushings? Well, at some point I had left my car at an AAMCO shop for diagnostics. I got a call from a mechanic who was *SURE* my problem was struts (+/- $2000). The mechanic, obviously a nice guy, was willing to bump down the price; he was too eager to help me out just so that I leave the car at the shop... Fortunately, I didn’t.

I wonder, are ALL AAMCO shops alike? Are these just bad mechanics or... probably a rhetorical questions.

But what may be of use to some of us is to compile a list of reputable shops... Anyone agree? Anyone have ideas as to how to start putting together such a list?

cool.gif

Archived