CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ticking Noise

bris2learn

looking for some help on an annoying tick on 4.5, seems to be coming from the center of engine in the area of the A.I.R. pump, took oil cap off put a stehoscope near top of hole could not hear the tick, but when placed near the a.ir. pump could hear it pretty distiacantly. Took off the serpitine belt off and tick was still constant, the pulleys all seemed to move freely. What would be my next move?

Probably a lifter, push rod or a wiped cam lob. Try flushing the engine with (MMO) Magic Mystery Oil to clean out the lifters, chenge the oil twice quickly say at 500 mile intervals and see if you get lucky, drive it hard doring those periods. I have often taken top engines apart to clean or replace defective lifters to stop ticking, it happens.... they get gummed up and fail to filll up..

If you are lucky you can clean up the top engine and not have to take the engine apart, obviously this could be mechanical wear or defective parts, bent push rods, worn cam lobes, rocker arm problems won't be fixed by cleaning it.

Archived