CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Leak

Hi there

While removing the mat to vacuum the rug in the front passenger floor area I noticed that it is quite wet. To a lesser degree the driver floor area is also wet. About a month ago we had to have the heater/ air conditioning blower motor replaced and wondered if this could be related to the leak?

Many thanks for any input you can give me on this one.

Paul

PS here we are talking about our 1998 STS.

CC,

It seems coincidental that the water appeared after the recent work on the blower.

The HVAC evaporator coil under the dash (in the housing) has to drain condensate out.

I would ask the shop to check and see if they plugged or disconnected the drains somehow.

It does not smell or look (don't try tasting..) like engine coolant right? :blink: That would indicate a leaking heater coil in the ductwork ,but you should have noted coolant loss at some point.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Why not taste it?? :lol::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Life is too short to grow up!

Did you clean your carpets with any liquid recently?

I just noticed you are from Toronto. The weather has been so soupy here for soooo long, if you did put your mats over a damp carpet(maybe the shop got them wet) it would take weeks for them to dry under a floor mat!

I would remove your floor mats for a few days, and then see if they are still damp.

I have seen this a few times already this year, from people that cleaned their carpets early in the spring, and the carpets are now damp and stinky from the humidity.

Big Jay ;)

Life is too short to grow up!

Hi again

It is definately water and I am sure it is coming from the condensation pan. I cleaned (sort of reamed) out a small short tube coming through the firewall engine side which was surrounded by an elbow shaped rubber spout with a flap like opening about 1-1/2" out by 1-1/2" right angle down ------ is this it?

No water came out but we did release a lot of dirt particles. I then affixed a probe to my shop vac and inserted it into the tube for both a vac and a blow ---- still no water.

Having said this after turning on the car and running the air conditioner for a while I noticed a good steady drip of condensate under the car which I do not believe I saw yesterday.

Perhaps this means I have solved my problem and I do hope so because the water is not only in the front part of the car but also the back floor in a major way. Trunk is dry and so is area under seats. The rockers are dry and the drains clear so I am leaning towards a blocked condensate drain line as the cause of the problem.

I still wonder however if my mechanic might have also messed up the drain or drain line when he relaced the blower motor ---- is this a fair possibility?

I have been most of the day soaking up the water on the floor of the car and am also running house fans to try and dry things up.

I don't know whether to adopt a wait and see approach or get my mechanic to pull apart what he did when he replaced my blower motor to see if he screwed something up.

Any thoughts ?

Thx,

Paul

CC,

I would guess you found and fixed the problem. Congratulations! :)

The major issue now - is to be certain to throughly dry out all the carpets and pads to avoid any mold issues. :blink: If it gets to stink'in a bit, then you need to consider a removal of carpets etc by a professional outfit for cleaning. Its tough to kill mold without a oxidizer like bleach (a no-no around carpets) or careful application of a specific algaecide for interior-carpet usage, etc. :unsure:

If this leakage continued for an extended period, then excessive rusting of the floor pans might be another consideration. :(

For the above problems, your mechanic would be liable, so you might want to advise the shop of that contingency. <_< They may want to address any potential problem - now before the carpets need to be replaced or anything drastic.

Good Luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I am not real sure how things are layed out in your car but I din't think the blower motor repair would get near the evap drain. Either it was plugged and you cleared it or it is coming from somewhere else like a windshield, sun roof drain, rear window seal, etc.

Hi there and thanks to all for your input

One final question ------ is it likely that the removal and replacement of the blower motor could bugger up the condensate drain or condensate drain tube. I would like to get a bit of a handle on this before I tackle my mechanic (who knows of and does not like this message board or the fact that I am a member!)

Thanks again,

Paul

Archived