CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant Flush

mattd

OK I bought my Aurora a couple of weeks ago and the coolant looks nasty. The coolant that's in there right now is the green one. I want to go with the orange dex-cool stuff this time. My question is how do I do it? My buddy told me that the car should be at normal operating temp, then I should drain all the coolant from the bottom of the rad. (Should the surge tank cap be on or off? ) once all the coolant drains out, put the plug back in and fill with water, let it run for about 5 min and drain, and repeat one more time. Finally refill the system with a 50/50 mixture of coolant. Then he said to add the rad sealent pellets INTO THE RAD...and that's it. Is this the correct way of doing it, if not please post the correct way. I also wanted to know if the pellets I have are the right ones. I always thought that pellets would be more like tablets but this stuff is liquid, it's all black and it's called sealent pellets, made by prestone. That's the only stuff they had at this store, is this OK or should I find something else...Thanks in advance for any info...

There are a couple of other methods of flushing but what you describe should work fine if you are having no problems now.

I like the tablets from GM because they dont color the coolant. (three at a time)

Best to use distilled water w/coolant.

I would stick w/the green coolant and just change it every two years.

Once your engine has had the green coolant, you won't benefit by using the orange DexCool. Just drain your radiator by opening the petcock or removing the lower radiator hose. Install the BarsLeak powder (in a tube at Walmart or auto parts store), then a 50-50 mixture of regular green antifreeze and distilled water.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Use 50/50 distilled water and green ehtylene glycol. Going to the orange Dexcool will gain absolutey nothing. Secondly, DO NOT use the Prestone additive. It will likely clog your heater core. Go with the GM Pellets, or Bars Stop Leak, Gold formula. They are exactly the same chemically, which is what your system was designed for. You can put the sealant into the radiator, or a main hose, but don't put it into the pressure(surge) tank. It wont flow and mix properly from there. Given that you bought it used, with an unknown maintinence history, especially on the cooling system, it wouldn't hurt to use two tubes of Bars, or six pellets.

The draining method from the bottom of the radiator (is there a petcock?) with the cap off sounds right.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived