CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wow, I just came across this DTS.

STS Scott

I was doing a google search last night looking for info on the "original" DTS... as in the 1986 Deville Touring Sedan. It was a 'euro' type package that I have seen before, but didn't know much about. I didn't really find anything on that, but did come across quite the hopped up new DTS.

Apparently The General backed the mods on this Deville for the big 'ol 2002 SEMA show. They refered to it as the "Cadillac DTS Icon"

Does anyone have any light to shed on this car... or the inital 'DTS' from way back in '86 for that matter?

It is sort of neat, even if it does not suit your tastes...

6345_image.jpg

post-3-1121715085_thumb.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Here's the rear...

Looks like it has the Borla exhaust and maybe a little spoiler...

dtsicon.jpg

post-3-1121715232_thumb.jpg

Scott

I remember Car & Driver's review of the 1986 DTS .... it was primarily a suspension and trim package.

The suspension was firmed up, there was a medallion rather than hood ornament, most of the chrome was blackened out, and the wire wheels were replaced with european looking aluminum rims.

I remember the writer's perspective was one of pleasant surprise in that the car was much more responsive in terms of handling .... but I think the car just used the standard HT4100 engine.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

OK OK!!! When I suggested installing these types of wheels on my Deville, the idea was squashed. Exactly why does it look good on this Deville? :lol: Everyone convinced me that these types of wheels were too SPORTY for the Black Tux Deville.......

And do you know what? It looks incredible!

The wheels look nice they appear to be 20in wheels they appear much bigger than the 17in wheels but I'm happy with the stock 17in dts wheels One of my friends has those wheels and lowered his car with some springs & it looks real good I thhink he used one of those ebach spring kits to lower his about an inch..

Cheers

Jim

Hers's a pic to compare the stock dts wheels to the one posted

rtdev.jpg

Here's the rear...

Looks like it has the Borla exhaust and maybe a little spoiler...

I do like the little spoiler.

But I could improve the OnStar performance on that car (picky, picky, picky :D ).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That is a nice looking car. It's just amazing at how many times I am impressed by a Cadillac. So much more then any other car am I wowed...

Original "Deville Touring Sedan" was a neat little car in the mid to late 80's. I'd say it was available in 1987 and maybe 1988. It was mostly a trim option including blacking-out of several chrome trim pieces including window trim and headlight bezels. Something special about the quarter-window trim as well as the interior and shift lever bits - I believe. May have had a lay-down hood ornament/medallion but I'm not certain. It's somewhat of a 'spiritual' successor to the 1982 through 1984 Eldorado Touring Coupe and had very similar trim changes from the standard model as the Eldorado had. Went away then came back in late 1991 through 1993. See a pattern here? 1984 Eldorado Touring Coupe went away - only to come back in 1987 as an option on the Deville. Goes away in 1988 and comes back 3 years later. Curious. Personally I really like the 1991 through 1993 Deville Touring Sedan. In Black it's a stunner. 'Evolved' into it's own model for 1994 - the Deville Concours which ultimately became the modern-day DTS.

There was a guy I've seen here in South Florida on-and-off for over 14 YEARS who has a black 1988 Deville Touring Sedan. Last I spoke with him he had 350,000 miles on it (not sure if he'd rebuilt the engine/transmission nor how many times). I've seen him all over South Florida and spoken with him twice about it. He is insanely in love with car and has done some curious (nutty) things to it, including full dual exhaust, a hood tachometer off a 1968 GTO and a Bentley trunk lock cover. The kick I get is this guy's commitment to this car. I mean - I'll go 2 or 3 years - then see him again someplace - like 30 miles away from where I last saw him. And again - he just loves that car.

Hope this explains a bit.

cheers,

~Doc

P.S. After 5 long years I'm back in a Cadillac, myself. New too. Never thought I'd see this day again. Details/pix coming next week.

MaverickWithTruck.JPG

post-3-1121871575_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find any images of those original 'DTS' s. Does anyone have a pic handy, or know of a site with one?

Scott

Archived