CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dreaded P056 Code

eldoetc95

Well, I beleive my car is now in the what I call 'the domino effect'. My shift selanoids, A and B went bad 3 weeks back. I had a very reputable transmission place fix them for me and it cost me just like this great website said it would. The shop listened to my diagnosis, confirmed it, and fixed it...all good. Then suddenly, 2 days ago, I get the P056 code (the domino effect). It comes and goes, oddly enough, very predictably. The car will be fine until I hit Overdrive, then the P056 code becomes current. I come to a stop, P056 still on, I begin moving forward, shift into second..Hard, Code P056 becomes history (goes away). Car gets to speed, shifts into OD, code P056 back, restart cycle. This car has just surpassed 170,000. As much as I do like the car, and it is very clean, I'm at a point were I am questioning if it now becomes worth it. But here is a question, whom out there has taken the transmission out of a Eldorado (1995) and is it a nightmare to do? Is there special tools involved? Does the cradle have to come down? etc, etc. Any info would be appreciatted, so I can decide if it's worth to fix or put an R.I.P. on it. Thanks to all in advance.

eldoetc95,

Do you know what the PO56 code is for the 1995 series cars? On the 1996 OBDII it's supposed to be a problem with an O2 sensor.

Can you confirm what your code means?

eldoetc95,

Do you know what the PO56 code is for the 1995 series cars? On the 1996 OBDII it's supposed to be a problem with an O2 sensor.

Can you confirm what your code means?

I saw that slow jhall as I have a 96, BUT with OBD1, the PO56 code is in fact the speed sensor..

P056 (E056) ........................................ Transmission Input Speed Sensor

See it here:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html#pcm

Why did they do this between OBD1 and OBD2 to confuse the problem? Mike

Thanks Mike,

I did find Anthony's OBDII list, but I guess I didn't dig deep enough for the OBDI list. Thanks.

eldoetc95:

It looks as though the repair may have disturbed the speed sensor or the sensor wiring in some manner.

I'm not familiar with the Eldo tranny repair, but if it's like a '96 - '97 you will need to remove the LH strut and lower the A-frame to get to the trans side cover. Have a look at http://caddyinfo.onedgesolutions.com/howto/pc0717.htm for details.

Hope this helps.

jhall,

Thank you very much for your time in answering, and thanks to Scotty also. I will check out the link. This board has helped me so much in keeping my Eldorado on the road at a very reasonable and minimal cost. Thanks to all of you. But this problem has me wrestling with the 'do I keep it or do I cut my losses and run'. All of us car guys have gone and go thru this from time to time...and I hate it. On the way home today, my P056 caused a Disabled Traction Control situation which really makes the car a burden to drive. Oh well, such is life. Thanks again all.

I have a 95 seville, I had the same code years ago several times on and off, car shifted fine, I kept on re setting it and it went away, about every 3 4 months it comes back for a day and then after several resets goes away for good. Logan, Bobynsky both gave it a shot, we still don't know what it is. But I am not chasing after it until it sets and won't go away.

mike

Archived