CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Too good to be true???

Eldorado Bob

hey everybody, i posted a while back saying that my car was stumbling, idling rough & popping through the exhaust at times during acceleration...so on the advice of many, i changed the plugs & wires (they were almost 9 years & 91,000 mlies old)...i used parts from GMpartsdirect.com(and i thought i was getting replacement GM parts, but after reading some recent posts, it looks like i got AC Delco brand replacement parts)..the gaps on the old plugs were way off, the worst being .067 and the best around .054...anyways the new parts made a tremendous difference, the car ran like brand new...for about a week....now starting today with no warning, it seems worse than before, the idle jumps around from 500 rpm to 1000 rpm in both park & in gear...acceleration is real choppy from a stand still...it does seem to accelerate smoothly when doing o WOT (which i did about 10 of to see if that would clear it up, no luck...in addition to the recent plugs & wires, i did a minor tune up about 6 months ago that included air filter, pcv valve, FPR, & a cleaning of the throttle body bore and the EGR valve...i'm showing no related codes, and am kind of stumped...i'm seeking some advice from our knowledgable group...sorry to be so long winded...thanks in advance Bob....

Have you checked for disconnected or leaking vacuum lines? Have you checked for codes? Hold down the off and warmer buttons at the same time and look on the code list in the "how to" section of the homepage.

actually , one thing i noticed is these AC Delco replacement wires are 7mm..i was always under the impression that the factory ones were 8mm..if this is true, is it possible that after a week+ these new wires are starting to get fried??? i kept the old wires, maybe i'll try to put those back on and see if it makes a difference...just a thought, what do you think???

I had a terrible stumbling problem. Replaced wires, cleaned throttle body, EGR passages cleaned (I don't think you have them), replaced plugs. Then, I read a post about the crank position sensor. Guru said that this normally causes a codes and I had none, he suggested to this person to check the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors. I removed the top cover to the manifold and had someone turn the key,not starting the car and the FPR did not leak, upon returning the key to the off position, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a steady stream of fuel coming from an injector. Sure enough, over time, the fitting into the injector had come loose fallen out of the injector spewing fuel into the manifold. I lifted up the fuel rail and reattached the injector to the fitting....problem solved. I don't know if you have a similar set up in your 95 as in my 93, but it might be something to look at.

Good luck

OK, i just came in from looking around under the hood..there doesn't seem to be any vacuum lines disconnected, there isn't any fuel leaks that i can see(or smell), but one thing i did notice is that the more accessories i run, the rougher the idle seems to get...i don't think its my imagination, but it might be, LOL!! ...still thinking about those 7mm wires though...i may break down and call the mechanic, as much as i hate to do that...bob...

Hmmm, I'm just guesing here, but maybe you have a bad coil pack, but I think that may show a code. Another possibility is a bad ground to the coil packs. Sounds like you have some sort of electrical problem.

Archived