CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Putting on the rims

Bentham

Hey, sorry to ask kind of a dumb question.., but, I've never put 'rims' on my car so when I have my new rims 'mounted and balanced' on my tires is there anything special they need to do? Can I go just about anywhere for this procedure to be done.., [local garage, Firestone, etc.] I read something about 'road force' on here? Do I need to be concerned with that

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2459982778

and. how much should it cost to have 'em put on?

Thanks guys

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

just make sure all the crap is off the inside of the rims... it makes them take less weight to balance. you might polish the inside or something if you want to, but not necessary. if you buy the tires from the shop, then they will likely mount and balance them for free (recommended). I bought my tires on ebay, and a shop charged $15 a piece to mount and balance. Nice rims btw! Show us some pics when they all mounted up!

Hey, sorry to ask kind of a dumb question.., but, I've never put 'rims' on my car so when I have my new rims 'mounted and balanced' on my tires is there anything special they need to do? Can I go just about anywhere for this procedure to be done.., [local garage, Firestone, etc.]

I would ask around and see if anyone will offer a lifetime balance/rotation. Sometimes, you can pay 15 bucks a tire instead of 10 to get a lifetime balance (for the life of that tire) and free rotation. I'd definitely do that, especially if your tires are fairly new. If you're about to replace them in a year anyway, it might not be worth the extra cost to you. I'd probably find a nationwide dealer to mount and balance your tires/wheels (like Sears or Wal-Mart or Sams Club), just so if you have troubles out of town somewhere, like a weight come off or something like that, you can show them your lifetime balance papers and have it taken care of with no OOP expense.

As long as they can balance it to your satisfaction, I don't think you should need to have any special method done, like the road force balancing. Some of the folks here like to have the stick-on weights applied to the inside of the rim rather than clipped on the outside. I really don't have a preference, I've never had wheel damage from a clip-on, but the next time I have mine done, I might ask them to put the weights on the inside, just so it makes it easier to clean the outer lip of the rim.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

all my stick on weights flew off about 3 times in 3 days. Each time the shop charged me another $5 a piece to rebalance. Obvioulsy I got very pissed at them!! To make sure it didn't happen again, they again used stick on weights, but covered them with DUCT TAPE!!! (my shiny, chrome wheels!) That's one shop that I won't visit again!! Ughhh

all my stick on weights flew off about 3 times in 3 days. Each time the shop charged me another $5 a piece to rebalance. Obvioulsy I got very pissed at them!! To make sure it didn't happen again, they again used stick on weights, but covered them with DUCT TAPE!!! (my shiny, chrome wheels!) That's one shop that I won't visit again!! Ughhh

So what did you end up with? Did you find a shop to "properly" install them, or did you end up with clip-ons? What's the secret to having them not fall off? I've heard that from many folks (that they come off), and that's probably why most shops prefer to use the clip-ons.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm still rollin with duct tape. It's toward the back of the wheel... you don't notice it, unless you look for it :) and i know it's there, so I always look for it:( I don't know what else to do???!

Archived