CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

harsh ticking noise comming from the engine

Arash

Today I ordered a used engine with 90 days warranty on parts for $1350 CAD plus $200 shipping. The engine has 120,000 km on it; the seller is an auto slavage and says the engine is in great condition. I'v also arranged with a mechanic responsible for repairing taxies who says he has done one Northstar engine replacement before. They are quoting me 15 hours of labour with an option to replace the gaskets for 3 additional hours. In total it shouldn't cost more than $3000 CAD.

Is this a good deal?

Sounds good Arash. While they are at it, you should make sure you replace some key items if you can

1) Tranny seal at torque converter (cheap)

2) axle seals (cheap)

3) inspect HVAC plastic housing unit and replace if brittle or cracked (about $100)

4) inspect power steering hoses and replace if necessary (fairly cheap)

5) consider doing the shift solenoids and speed sensor (not sure how expensive, but its a lot cheaper NOW then later)

Good Luck I hope it works out good for you...

Arash,

You may want to ensure the the motor you get is the same "vintage" that you had. If you had a 93-94, then you should get a 93-94 to match the harness, computer, tranny etc.

$3,000 seems to be a better deal than what you first noted.

Again, Good luck guy :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

OT to the post, but has anyone noted that lately folk are complaining about blower moter housings that can ONLY be changed when the engine is removed from the vehicle?

The blower moter housing gets brittle and cracks. Its something a person might want to consider when the engine is out of the car.

Look closely at it and if it needs it, consider replacing it while you have the chance. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That was my #3 on the list of things to do while the engine was out. We are thinking alike! That is something I would definately replace if my engine was out..

Arash,

When you noted "They are quoting me 15 hours of labor with an option to replace the gaskets for 3 additional hours." Did you mean the head gaskets?

If yes, then 3-hours labor is one heck of deal! (maybe too good in fact) :blink:

Keep in mind that the engine MUST have the head bolt threads drilled out with a specific tool, and be "time-serted" (specially designed and engineered steel replacement thread-kit for the Caddy NorthStar - not simply a Helli-coil). ;)

If not done - the head bolt threads will probably fail, pull out a bit and the head gaskets will leak in a relatively short time. The job by itself can be $1,500-2,500 or even higher by a shop.

There has been an immense volume of posts on this subject - search the 30-days and older for head gaskets, etc.

Again, good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Arash, I meant to ask, you were able to find the 300 HP STS engine? There is a Y and 9 code, I don't know which the 300 HP is but be careful you get the right one... Mike

Scotty,

I asked the guy regarding the engine type and they said it came out of a 94 STS. So it should be ok I think. The vin 9 is the STS engine. Actually to be precise, the 94 STS is 295 HP.

Scotty,

I asked the guy regarding the engine type and they said it came out of a 94 STS. So it should be ok I think. The vin 9 is the STS engine. Actually to be precise, the 94 STS is 295 HP.

Good, I am happy for you

Archived