CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TRUNK EMBLEM REMOVAL?

I BOUGHT A CADILLAC TRUNK EMBLEM TO REPLACE THE ONE THAT FITS AROUND THE TRUNK KEYHOLE, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO REMOVE THE PREVIOUS ONE. I DONT WANT TO DO ANY DAMAGE. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE. THE ONE ON THERE NOW IS CRACKED!

The trunk emblem is held in place by adhesive backed foam, as are the rest of the emblems.

It is best if the surface of the body panel is warm, over 70 degrees.

Use patience

I used WD-40, carefully sprayed at the edges of the emblem where it is attached to the foam. Allow it time (a few minutes) to penetrate the foam and soften it.

Use patience

Work a piece of thin nylon fishing line through the foam-backed adhesive, in a back and forth cutting motion. Add a little WD-40 at times to help it along.

Use patience

As it starts to come loose you may be able to use your fingers to help pull it loose.

Use patience

After the emblem is off be sure to finish removing any material left on the painted surface using WD-40. When all is removed, do a thorough job washing the area with soap and water. Then wipe with a little alcohol on a small rag to make sure no oil residue is left.

Before removing the paper from the new emblem, place it in position for a test fit to be sure you know how to position it. The adhesive is not forgiving, so handle carefully

Remove the paper from the foam-backed adhesive carefully position the emblem, press firmly to lock it in place.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The used car dealer put a decal on my trunk lid that seemed a bit ugly so I used this stuff to get it off...

Aircraft Decal & Adhesive Remover #EAD-908 --- Made by Klean Strip

This worked really well and I thought it made the job a bit easier than using WD40. If I remember correctly I actually found this in a Wal-Mart Supercenter by where they had a display of touch up paints.

It is best if the surface of the body panel is warm, over 70 degrees.

Use patience

I used WD-40, carefully sprayed at the edges of the emblem where it is attached to the foam. Allow it time (a few minutes) to penetrate the foam and soften it.

Use patience

Work a piece of thin nylon fishing line through the foam-backed adhesive, in a back and forth cutting motion. Add a little WD-40 at times to help it along.

Use patience

I saw this precise technique used in a TV show recently (maybe RIDES??).

In addition, they used a hot air gun (hairdryer?) to warm the area before removal.

Of course, one shouldn't be too agressive with the heat. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That's peculiar, I use fishing line as well or thin string. A hair dyer helps, also gas will work on tuff goopy residue. I have used razor blades but you must be careful with them on the paint. Compound works well afterwards to polish it up. I debadged with this home-made technique.

92 Deville w/210k miles

Archived