CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unknown engine air filter plumbing

JimD

My Deville has a rubber hose on the engine air filter box that connects filtered air to a cannister at the LF corner of the cradle.

What do it do?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am not familiar with the particular item you describe, however, many air intake systems are tuned to muffle or refine the sound of the engine, much like an exhaust system. This is often accomplished by the use of dead-end chambers connected via a relatively small aperture (Helmholtz resonators) or careful sizing of the relative volumes of various components to attenuate certain frequency ranges.

I've seen some of that noise cancelling intake plumbing, Kevin.

The cannister has an electrical connector plus more plumbing that goes somewhere (I did not follow the other hose to its destination). Maybe I am hoping this has a more exotic purpose?

Color me curious.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Without the benefit of a photograph, I would guess that's the A.I.R. system: air inlet, electric A.I.R. pump, and connection to the exhaust somewhere ahead of the catalyst. The purpose is to reduce cold-start exhaust emission by warming up the catalyst more quickly.

I regret not paying closer attention to where the 'other' line from the cannister was connected.

However, the immediate plumbing to and from the cannister is rubber.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived