CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problems arise from cleaning TB

lacseville

I cleaned my TB well today and upon starting it the revs went way up first.... They came back down so I drove it. When I let off the gas, it would cruise at 41... at a stoplight, rpms would be 1500, in neutral 1800. Until it got below 5 mph, it would be this way. I haven't done it yet, but would an idle reset fix this? To do this, you disconnect a battery terminal for 30 sec, then put it back on and drive until it learns, or is there a better way?

Also, my rear EGR tube was loose. It just wiggled around in there! What to do?

I was told to clean the TB and that might fix the chingy rattling sound I get sometimes. It happens during acceleration most noticible when under small load, for instance right after the trans shifts into od at 42-45, still accelating slowly. My last 2 cars have made this metallic, chingy rattling sound. WHAT IN THE WORLD IS IT?!

thanx Guru... since I'm at it... what do I use to jump the "A" and "B" pins to check timing. Anything work? I've got some 12 ga copper electricians wire!! Is there just one bolt holding the distributor in place? I want to reset to about 13 degrees. Also, how do you play with the transmission tables in the computer? I know nothing about it, and don't want to touch it, but who can do this... adjust shift point, converter lock-up points and all?

My 92 Seville had the same rattling noise that I was convinced was a heat sheild underneath. I repeatedly went over the exhaust from one end to the other, even with the engine running. It turned out that the inside of the catalytic converter had a stamped metal gridlike framework that follows the outside shape of the converter. I discovered this after I put in a new one for a few hundred bucks. The old one passed emissions easily and the car ran fine. If I had to do it over again, I would drill a 1/4 hole in the bottom of the converter and screw in a smooth-headed screw to hold the inner grid against the outer shell. Maybe two screws-one foreward and one to the rear-would be required to stop the rattle.

Good luck.

well, don't go and replace your cat! When I had pipes done, I had mine cut off. No difference. Every week it seems to get a little worse. Caddy dealer said maybe trans or motor mount. I'm going to check my EGR valve to see for sure if it isn't spark knock, or something along those lines. Do you have the 4.9 too?? You kinda have to learn to drive it where it doesn't make this noise! Kinda embarassing, huh?!

I'm going to check the EGR tomorrow... Thursday it's scheduled to go to the Cadillac dealership for them to check it out. I'll let you know, and everyone else who has this annoying problem, what the dealio is, and how to fix it.

• 3 months later...

you ever figure out what the cause is for the rattle? i've got it on the '93 STS

"kinda find a way to drive it.."embarrassing"

LOL, hell yeah.. nothing like a washed and waxed ride bumping some tunes @ the light.. some woman and you locks eyes... she's digging you.. BRRrrRRrrrR

lmfao, pretty sure its around the cat coverter, waiting to fix my midseal then new exhaust!

oh yeah, i also have the high idle. 3k out of gear, 1.5k in.

will replace the ISC motor sometime soon, almost positive its the culprit

guess our idle is to high.. causing it to rattle abnormally

Archived