CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Removing crossover waterpump housing?

acklac7

Ok Im still trying to diagnose the source of my rough idle/hesitation...http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6092&hl=, I don't really have the money for new plugs and wires at the moment, so I figured in the meantime I'd inspect the fuel injectors for potential problems...something is causing the plugs to foul.

Well about 10 minutes into the job I took off one of the EGR hoses @ the throttle body and found that the port was major clogged. So I wondered "what other EGR components could be clogged?"

Im now in the process of servicing the water pump crossover housing, mainly the 3 EGR passages. But How in the @!#$ do you get it off? The manual says "refer to Engine Cooling (6b)" but there isn't anything pertaining to the removal of the crossover housing in 6b, or in the entire manual (thus far)...It looks like its going to be next to impossible to remove, I might have a shot if I removed the throttle cable and all that other junk...but it still looks ifffy.

I read George's post........http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5190&hl=crossover+housing...but I think the 95's have a different design..right?

Anyway Im going to go check the fuel injectors out in the meantime....hopefully there alright....Thanks!....Also I drove the car last night after cleaning the crud out of the port....It ran better...but still noticeably rough.

post-3-1117315634_thumb.jpg

A.J.

I think you are going through a lot of work for nothing. Removing the crossover looks like a bear. I recall Guru saying the the crossover was made large enough so that it would never clog. Have you cleaned the EGR valve itself? If you are still running original plugs and wires, that may be where your problem lies.

I think you are going through a lot of work for nothing. Removing the crossover looks like a bear. I recall Guru saying the the crossover was made large enough so that it would never clog. Have you cleaned the EGR valve itself? If you are still running original plugs and wires, that may be where your problem lies.

Larry, I've already cleaned the EGR valve throughly, I don't belive it is causing the problem.

I also remember several Guru posts about how the hoses wouldn't clog because of there size. However the manual says (Guru may have said so too): that the gasses are cooled while traveling through the crossover waterpump housing. And that deposits will not accumulate because of this.

Now I can't really tell from looking at the manual, but it appears as though the flow goes into the crossover, then up and out (through the pipe by the torque strut) then into the intake, where is then is distributed to the cylinders. The above picture is of the port that connects to the intake. When the gasses reach this port they should already have been cooled (through the crossover) so deposits would not form...right?...My logic was that if debris was present in this area (where technically it should not be) then debirs could be present in other places that are uncommon....like the crossover housing.

Now say I'm wrong (which I probably am... :lol:)..And there isn't a possibility of the crossover clogging. I still don't look at it as a waste of time, because eventually I want to be able to work on the entire engine...Which mean's taking off the throttle body, ISC motor ETC....Well I have already done hat!!...So it's one less thing to learn...Any and all "new" territory I cover when working on my car I consider an asset, even if I don't really fix anything in the process.

As for the plugs and wires, I fouled 2 plugs @ 50,000 miles and had all the plugs and wires replaced (don't know why the plugs fouled :()...I checked them last week and it looked as if another one was going bad. Not sure why they are fouling...trying to correct one problem at a time. First I'm trying to figure out the rough idle/chuggle,stumble. Then I will try and diagnose why the plugs keep fouling....My guess is that all the problems are interrelated some how....Also a buddy of mine (who's not a mechanic) noticed that my headlights were pulsing. He said that the engine might be "looping"....what ever that is, he said it might have something to do with the vacuum or something...also whenever I apply the brakes the headlights dim.....Dunno if this helps….A.J.

A.J.

Just an update....At first it looked like I was getting close with removing the throttle body, ISC motor, etc. But then I took a good look at the bottom bolts (on the crossover) and said "man there ain't no way in #*@& im gettin this thing off" It's apparent why the Svc. Manual doesn't mention how to remove the crossover: It's literally next to impossible to remove!! I ended up scraping the insides of the crossover with a coat hanger..Didn't seem to be much debris inside.

A.J.

Archived