CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield

runar

I am replacing the windshield on my 94 deville this week. Is it possible that windnoise could come in through the edges of the windshield? I checked the side windows and the doors and I believe they are tight. Thankfull for any advice.

Regards

Runar.

I have read of people with this problem before, and they used a special black silicone sealant (maybe someone could fill in what it is). Laying a thin bead of it in the joint where the wideshield meets the rubber trim on the A-pillars. Apparently this seal has been know to go bad, so maybe that is where your problem is.

Hope this helps!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I don't really think there is any type of leak. My '99 has (had) what seems to be quite a bit of noise coming from the winshield area. I think it's just that in a car that is otherwise very quiet, such noise is more noticable. I also think that this wind noise level was an acceptable compromise for the styling features in the front end of the car. The problem is not leakage, but turbulence. So, short of installing an air dam up front, above the hoodline, I did install the black rubber silicone sealer to all the chrome trim and the chrome to painted surface joints in the front of the car. I also repositioned the wipers lower in the cowl while at rest, reducing turbulence there. The result was a quieter car, but not silent. I figure that whenever you can hear small raindrops hitting the windshield while traveling at 70 mph, you got a pretty quiet car!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi Johnny

Thanks for your reply.You could very well be right. I noticed If I leave the rear windows half way down, there is a tremendous turbulance going on. I will let the board know if there is a differeence when I get the new window installed.

Regards

Runar

Archived