CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

code S038, S036

Yesterday was a warm day and I had nothing to do, so I decided to play around a car a little bit (as it occurs later, mostly under the car). I knew I have a couple codes (S036, S038 and S061). I checked computer and found out S036 and S061 in a history and S038 current. It appears bad (open circuit) exhaust valve in an ELC (electronic level control). I think that code S036 will disappear too if I'll replace a bad part. The manual says I should replace a bad valve. So, I have a couple questions: can exhaust valve be replaced without replacing whole thing (level control air compressor)? Is it worth to do it at all? The level seems to be fine and I have this more than 3 years already, it's just a thought about something non-perfect in a car.

I have the S038 code as well. I would really like to get rid of it. When I start the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message lights up. I think I remember someone post in the old forum that it could be a bad connection at a wiring harness in the back by the gas tank. I looked back there yesterday and all I saw is a bunch of connections so I'm not sure about that suggestion. If it's just a matter of replacing an exhaust valve it sounds like a pretty simple fix.

• 4 years later...

I'm aware this is an old thread, but it was the first thing that popped up when I tried to google the error codes I pulled when I was tinkering with my car. The diagnostic codes Bruce put up didn't seem to include S codes. What system is it, what do S036 and S044 history mean, and how do I go about fixing that/do I bother with it? Again, this is mostly in the interest of tinkering. I had no idea the Caddy had onboard diagnostics, and it's kinda blown my mind! Anyhow, just wondering about those two codes, and where I might find instructions for onboard adjustments for my 1994 STS.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I'm aware this is an old thread, but it was the first thing that popped up when I tried to google the error codes I pulled when I was tinkering with my car. The diagnostic codes Bruce put up didn't seem to include S codes. What system is it, what do S036 and S044 history mean, and how do I go about fixing that/do I bother with it? Again, this is mostly in the interest of tinkering. I had no idea the Caddy had onboard diagnostics, and it's kinda blown my mind! Anyhow, just wondering about those two codes, and where I might find instructions for onboard adjustments for my 1994 STS.

"HISTORY" means the code was present during the prior cycle. Once the engine is turned off, diagnostics will reset. When you restart, On-board diagnostics will again check the various systems for errors. If there are any error(s) that are present, a code will set and the word "CURRENT" will be to the left of the code.

List of Diagnostic Codes:

S036 Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open

S044 Lift or Dive Signal Fault

The S036 code indicates that the suspension compressor, which is located on the right (passenger) side rear, near the gas tank, is shorting. I was told the defective part cannot be replaced by itself, which means a new or rebuild compressor must be purchased. If this fault is something that is occurring only recently, chances are it will become more frequent. A long shot remedy would be to check the wire harness to the compressor but chances are it won't work as the code is setting because of an internal problem. You can purchase a rebuild compressor from Suncore Industries or Arnott, Inc., which will run about $175 to over $200.

ouch. I have suspected that something in the ride control is off. My car was parked for 4+ years before I started driving it, and it just seems to ride a little rougher than I'd have expected. I've actually been toying with replacing the suspension, but I hear that's even more expensive. Thanks for the help.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Archived