CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville Fuel Guage

Hello! The fuel guage readout begins to act crazy around "5" gallons. It starts going from 5 to7, 7 to 10, 10 to 6, 6 to 18 etc... Any ideas on what might cause this?? Its been doing this for a few weeks now. Thanks in advance! :(

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

AtlantaMc,

This sounds like a classic failure of the fuel level sensor - somewhat common.

You can choose to replace it or - if you fill the tank each time you need gas, simply use the "fuel used" readout on the instrument panel. I did this on my Deville for a while until I could get around to replacing the sensor.

Not sure what a shop would charge to pull the tank and do an install, but the sensor is about $125 if memory serves me correctly.

Hope this helps :)

My fuel gauge was "Acting up" so the dealer warrantied/replaced the fuel pump/level sensor. That wasn't the problem. They then replaced the body control Module. That fixed it. If not for the warranty, I would have used the "Gallons Used" feature...

rek

I had this problem in my 1993 Seville... unfortunately the first time it happened was during a potential buyer's test drive :P

He did purchase the car and it has been given a whole new lease on life in a much sunnier environment.

Thanks guys for all the help! :D

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

Archived