CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Fluid Leak???

93 Sedan

93 Sedan DeVille w/98K. Every morning my driveway shows another spot of clear power steering fluid just forward of the Pax side front wheel. It's definately coming from somewhere underneath the various pulleys/alternators/pumps/etc... by the drive belt. Only good view I've had thus far is from the top of the engine looking down and there is nothing obvious. I've been able to tighten most of the bolts thinking they may have loosened due to the extreme cold here in Beantown (a few torx bolts are behind the pulleys...no luck getting them).

Is there a PS pump seal that may have failed and is it separate from the large side (of the engine) gasket? Once again the expertise of this board is appreciated.

Get the car up on jack stands or a ramp. Slide under there and you will see a "U" shaped tubing with aluminum cooling fins on it. That is the P/S fluid cooler. That's probably where it's leaking from. Had the same thing happen to my '92. Fortunately my leak was near the closed end of the "U". I just removed it, cut the closed end off ( where the rust/hole was), removed an few more fins and put a hose on with screw clamps to make a new "U" and replaced it. Didn't hurt the cooling capacity much in my case as I did not shorten it very much.

Archived