CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lifting Fuel Rail

Well I went to check if my injectors are leaking on my 94 Northstar since I'm getting 9.5 mpg. I got the intake manifold off and my FPR didn't have gas on the nipple, but when I go to lift the fuel rail only the left side partially lifts up.. not much to work with. I noticed the fuel rail is held into this top cover that contains the injector wiring by9 clips but when I push on them to unhook it they wont budge. I have my service manual diagrams next to me but its just not helping. Anyones help is VERYYY appreciated!

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about... either I'm a moron or this thing wont unclip for me to even see the rail. From here what should the next step be? .. I wish I could afford a mechanic at this point. :unsure:

post-3-1115241371_thumb.jpg

I can't help you with this but I am sure someone here will be able to help shortly, it looks like those clips need to be released to remove the intake but I can't be sure, that looks totally different than my 96.... I am just getting familiar with my 96! :D Someone will chime in..

Thanks Scotty! I pushed the clip back with a flat head and then pushed down expecting it to unclip and the thing wont budge. The last thing I want to do is snap one of them, cause god knows what that would lead to.

Press the tab to the side, slip a wide thin screwdriver under the fuel rail near the tab, and carefully raise the fuel rail a little at a time by prying on the screwdriver.

It is most likely the injectors sticking to the O-rings on the front bank. Just take your time, you're right in not wanting to break the fuel rail $$$, handle with care.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I was working on this just today. I got the left side of the fuel rail partially up at first. The lip of the power steering reservoir was interfering with it - not too much of a problem. However, the right side was stuck down. Eventually I found that the fuel pressure regulator, which is the round thing on the right side with the tube in the centre, was held down by a rubber hose from the bottom but it could be pulled up. The other thing holding it down on the right side was the wiring harness. The wirees go through a bushing on the right side. You can gently pull the bushing up off the plate, but the harness has very little slack, so you can't pull it up very far. You need to disconnect the two connectors located under the duct leading to the throttle body to get enough slack, if you want to lift the fuel rail right up. I only unclipped the clip on the far right side of the picture.

• 1 month later...

Ok, So I had put off this little (or not so little) project for a little while and now I have no choice but to address it since my car is vibrating/missing like crazy. My RPMs jump up and then get sucked down and jump back up, and the car jerks when accelerating. I'm guessing an injector went from being partially stuck open to completely screwed. The same crappy 9.4 mpg are still here as well. Anyway.. i'm not too good at this mechanical stuff but nobody around here (NYC) wants to or can be trusted to do this for me. So, back to the intake manifold.. from what I'm getting its the one clip to the far right of my finger that I need to undo.. after I pry it up, is that when I should see those 2 connectors STS was talking about? Also.. is it really bad to drive with my car missing like that, should I just leave it parked until it gets fixed?

Archived