CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fuel filter

My 94 STS is acting up sometimes when im on the highway and I am going up a steep hill! It seems to be losing power or something it kind of studders and I dont know what it is! Figured id start with the fuel filter but I dont know where it is! Anyone no what could be causeing this or where the filter is? thanks

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

The fuel filter is on the frame rail. Just below the rear door on the drivers side.

To change the fuel filter you will need:

A new fuel filter of course. Experiment with it so you can see how the line locks work before you start the project.

A small (1 qt) catch bowl, for the gas that will come out when you remove the filter.

The best way to release the line locks is by hand. A small screwdriver or pair of pliers may be used to help release the fuel line locks. Be careful with any tools here, the fuel lines are nylon and a small scratch can ruin them! It is like scoring glass.

Loosen the fuel tank cap to relieve any tank pressure.

There may still be a little line pressure so be careful to avoid getting any gas spray on you. Note: the fuel line pressure can be relieved at the schrader valve near the throttle body, but I have not found it necessary to do so.

Slip the new filter in place (make sure the flow arrow points toward the front of the car) and press the line locks in firmly.

Turn the key on – DO NOT START- observe the fuel filter for any leaks for a minute or so. Do not allow ANY leakage here.

At 105k miles, you are due to change the spark plugs if you haven’t done so. The Northstar requires dual platinum tip plugs. Best advice is to use the AC Delco double platinum tip spark plugs. Many other plugs just do not do the job.

You may need spark plug wires, but not necessarily.

Also check and replace your air filter if necessary.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thank you very much! I was thinking I should probly change the plugs soon and i will pick up a new filter on moday! I hope these things make it run a little smoother going up those hills!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived