CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ac delco battery 79-6yr

raz

Does anyone know the price of this battery? The battery went dead this morning on my Seville 2000 STS. I called around and no one even had it listed not alone in stock. I am guessing i am stuck going to the dealer. The battery has the 2 vent pipes on the side to vent gases through the floorboard. The battery is located under the back seat. I guess my second question would be will i lose programming to my remote key entry and custom driver presets? I assume i will have to reprogram the radio etc.

Other than a dealer or a well stocked ACDelco parts house, good luck finding an OEM replacement. Expect to pay $150+ at the dealer's parts counter.

Be sure the battery is the problem.

Under normal conditions (whatever that is), a battery will give you several early warnings that it is failing. Try to get a fresh charge into your battery and have it load tested at your local aftermarket parts retailer before you buy the new battery.

As far as disconnecting and reconnecting a battery, the data you lose will be little more than gallons of fuel used and any calculated data based on that value. Most everything else is retained.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

For future reference, since the battery is under the rear seat, do you need a "special" battery with vent tubes or can you get away with a "regular" battery?

My guess was $150. The car started fine this morning i backed it out the garage a few feet and turned it off. About a hour later i tried to start it and only clicking. So i checked the voltage on the computer and it was reading only 8 volts. After trying to start again it was down to 7 volts. I moved the front seats up and all power was lost no lights etc. The battery is over 5 yrs old i am assuming a cell shorted or went bad but i had no warning beforehand. Thanks for the reply but i have to get this car running in the morning for my wife to go to work.

For future reference, since the battery is under the rear seat, do you need a "special" battery with vent tubes or can you get away with a "regular" battery?

You could "get away" with a sealed battery in there but the cost would be close to the OEM replacement.

Then there is the CCA consideration, the undesirable universal terminal arrangement on non-OEM batteries, and the physical fit compromise.

I looked at as many alternatives as I could find before I bought my replacement OEM battery in November.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I am curious, I have a 2001 STS and I figure it may be coming soon to replace my battery too! Question, when you purchased your new battery from the dealer, did it come with the vent tubes and any other special parts? or were you able to transer the existing vent tubes from the old battery to the new? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if you purchased an aftermarket battery, if it would possible to transfer the vent tube from the old battery to the new aftermarket?

I am curious, I have a 2001 STS and I figure it may be coming soon to replace my battery too!  Question, when you purchased your new battery from the dealer, did it come with the vent tubes and any other special parts?  or were you able to transer the existing vent tubes from the old battery to the new?  The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if you purchased an aftermarket battery, if it would possible to transfer the vent tube from the old battery to the new aftermarket?

Hey Tab,

I found what looks like an exact replacement at Advance Auto parts last

fall. Group 79. Their best battery at ~118.00.

No deal since I can get a Delco for that price.

Well my 1999 made it through the winter. I will replace it with a Delco

this spring. Looking for a connection to GM parts for an over the counter

discount.

Vent tubes stay with the car. Top of battery has the necessary connections

for vent tubes..that's why it is a Goup 79.

I would not try to substitute unless it were an Optima battery, as that

doesn't need vent tubes. (?)

Walmart & Sams do not stock Group 79 in either style, vent tube or Optima.

Good luck!

Archived