CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS

weephee

Hi guys. I haven't been on this site for a while but was certainly entertained reading the length saga between this board and Patty. Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that I have a 99 STS with about 85k miles. The problem is the wood grain on the door panels. They have turned a dark smokey color. They're no longer clear and crispy as the dash wood grain. Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so what is the cause and remedy. I was thinking of taking something like Mothers auto scratch remover or equivalent to it to see if just the finish is cloudy but thought I might gleam some personal experience here. Thanks for any input you can give. One other problem I have is the engine is idling rough. I have changed the plugs and wires but this hasn't helped. Just wondering if it might be the fuel regulator.

The wood around my shifter is doing something very similar. It seems like it is fading in certain spots and has a smokey whitish hue to parts of it. I have tried several cleaners and polishes but I have been unable to restore it's original shine. It was faded when we originally purchased the car three years ago.

My '99 is still in good shape, but it's garaged kept. I'm guessing that were talking sun fade here. Tell us where you live and whether your car is kept in a garage or not. The "wood" is only a thin vernier over aluminum, so chances of refinishing are rather slim, but the offending source of the whiteish appearance is probably the final "clear coat" on top of it all. Rubbing compound comes to mind for exterior car finishes suffering from this type of failure...clear coat type only.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I live in Canada and the car is not garage kept. It seems odd that part of the wood is fogged and other pieces aren't. For example, the drivers door. The small piece to the front is very dark and cloudy but the longer piece is perfect. I'll try rubbing compound and get back to the forum with the results. Thanks

Archived