CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

water pump replacement

boredhome

I have a 1993 Seville that is making an annoying tapping sound that increases with acceleration. There seems to be antifreese on the passenger side of the engine which appears to me to be the waterpump cover gasket. If I hold a hose to that area and my ear, it seems to be where the the tapping is the loudest. Do I need any special tools to replace the water pump on this model (I see postings about a socket for the STS but nothing for this). I also intend to loosen the belt to see if the tapping stops or if its internal.

I have a 93 with the 4.9. I get my manual tomorrow so I could help you then.

I am confused, I thought that in 93 the northstar was in the Seville, did some still have the 4.9?

If that is the case, its possible that the water pump is beginning to go, they do not give you a lot of warning. In the old days you could drive around for a few weeks with it making noise and seeping coolant, that water pump goes quickly. Also check to see if your idler wheel and tensioner wheels have bad bearings causing that noise. Once the 4.9 water pump begins making noise head for the side of the road! :lol:

You don't need any special tools at all.

I have a 93 with the 4.9.  I get my manual tomorrow so I could help you then.

I am confused, I thought that in 93 the northstar was in the Seville, did some still have the 4.9?

If that is the case, its possible that the water pump is beginning to go, they do not give you a lot of warning. In the old days you could drive around for a few weeks with it making noise and seeping coolant, that water pump goes quickly. Also check to see if your idler wheel and tensioner wheels have bad bearings causing that noise. Once the 4.9 water pump begins making noise head for the side of the road! :lol:

You don't need any special tools at all.

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure they were putting the 4.9 in some of the "base model" sevilles and eldorados.

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Thanks for the info. The water pump is definately on the passenger side of this model (4.9). I took off the belt and stopped the knocking, but I will check the other pulleys for loose bearings. Now if I can only find out why it wont heat up the car!

Thanks for the info.  The water pump is definately on the passenger side of this model (4.9).  I took off the belt and stopped the knocking, but I will check the other pulleys for loose bearings.  Now if I can only find out why it wont heat up the car!

One more thing just dawned on me. It occurred to me when the noise went away when you took off the belt. The 4.9 is known for the Number 1 main bearing knock, search the archives, you may have the knock. If you have it, and it sounds like you do, you might improve it by using 10W40 or 15W40, Mike

Its only a nuisence and its not serious, read up on it, search bearing knock

Do I need any special tools to replace the water pump on this model

There are two Torx headed bolts to contend with. All others are standard metric. It isn't a bad job just long and clumsy reaching down into the compartment. Remember you need a quality pump for this engine not the cheapies they sell. The pump requires a premium bearing. You need an AC Delco pump or one from the dealer. We are talking $150+ or minus. Cheaper pumps don't last. Of course if you are getting rid of the car or like changing pumps. . .

(Hey Scotty, would that bearing knock leak antifreeze? ;) )

Archived