CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pulsing lights

bvaubel

My lights on my 94 sls pulse. Not all the time but most of the time. Headlights, taillights, dash lights. They all pulse together. And the pulse stay the same speed no matter how fast the car is going or the rpm of the motor. I've checked as many ground connections as I can find. Haven't replaced the alternator. Any ideas guys?

My lights on my 94 sls pulse. Not all the time but most of the time. Headlights, taillights, dash lights. They all pulse together. And the pulse stay the same speed no matter how fast the car is going or the rpm of the motor. I've checked as many ground connections as I can find. Haven't replaced the alternator. Any ideas guys?

Check the battery connections if you have not already. If you have a battery/volt meter in the car look at it, and see if it is ranging...if it is ranging you probably need an alternator, my 91 did this and it stopped when I replaced the alternator. It could be bad brushes, a short in the alternator, diodes, rectifier bridge going, regulator. See if the volts are ranging, Mike

If your battery starts the engine each time you turn the key, you can eliminate both the battery and the alternator for now. Both of those would appear to be doing their jobs.

Until you see more or different symptoms, continue to look for dirty / corroded cable end connections.

All bets are off if you have a high current draw music system and the lights pulse in rhythm with a heavy bass beat!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My neighbor's '99 Olds was doing this for several months.

We changed the alt. and the problem went away.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

If your battery starts the engine each time you turn the key, you can eliminate both the battery and the alternator for now. Both of those would appear to be doing their jobs.

Until you see more or different symptoms, continue to look for dirty / corroded cable end connections.

All bets are off if you have a high current draw music system and the lights pulse in rhythm with a heavy bass beat!

As additional information, mine ranged and pulsed like that for months and the car still started. It ranged from 11.4 to 14. I had it rebuilt, and the pulsing went away, the brushes were low, the rings were worn, the front and bearings were shot.

Archived