CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How much BarsLeak is too much?

Rick94

I still have a leak in the inlet side tank... the leak is either the gasket, or a small crack just below the inlet--I can't tell because of tight clearance, and the inlet hose hides the area of interest.

I haven't had the time (or ambition) lately to pull the radiator out... meanwhile, I've considered trying one last time with two more tubes of BarsLeak directly in the radiator. But the system already has two tubes since the last drain and refill about a year and a half ago... will two more hurt anything?

I seem to recall bobbynski saying he's fixed many coolant leaks with an "extra dose" of BarsLeak... is this worth a try?

Thanks!

I seem to remember Bill saying something like 20 tabs was too much :P and I THINK one tube is equal to 2 tabs (not sure). He usually recomends 4-6 I think so I wouldn't think an extra dose would hurt anything. Try a small mirror and a flashlight to see the area your looking for. I keep a small dental mirror for such tight places. Works great.

Thanks, guys. You made me think... as the usual 'bobbynski rule' applies -- proper diagnosis is essential! :) BarsLeak is a good fix for a leaking gasket, a new side tank is a good fix for a cracked side tank. I'll try the mirror trick to pinpoint the leak.

This is the second inlet side plastic tank I've cracked on 10 year-old GM radiators... too much WOT?! :P

Archived