CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shifter hard to shift out of park

audioguy99

There was an earlier post about the shifter getting stuck/hard to shift out of park. Someone replied about realignment or other suggestions...I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I had the console apart last week to re-tape the peeling metal piece and decided to shoot a little WD40 on the moving parts since mine was getting stuck too. No problem at all since then - easy fix and no more sticking. Just thought I'd mention that.

Jonathan

This is probably not the problem, but a genuine point to ponder. A car came in quite some time ago needing a replacement engine. The engine was replaced by a competent apprentice, and did a fine job with it. The car came back one month later on a flatbed, "unable to shift out of park". Replaced the cable, and out she went. The car came back again, same problem, same solution. The third time it happened, I was called to grunt duty. I hate grunt duty, so I muscled the job, and damaged the cable removing it, much to my luck. I "found" that the cable seemed melted within it's casing. Knowing the history of the car, I replaced the cable, and added two grounds to the engine/frame, without looking for a lack of them, I waste no time folks! I later cut that cable apart only to find that it looked like it was used to jump start a car, and failed. I think that the car was using the cable for a ground, and it never came back again.

Yes, I use the parking brake. This is a different type of problem. It's not that it's actually hard to shift into gear, the shift lock release catches (when you apply the brake and squeeze the button). At least that's what mine was doing and what I understood the others to be having a problem with. It's fixed now.

I didn't spend a lot of time searching for that post. I was hoping whoever it was would read this and find the same luck in resolving the issue.

Archived