CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

E.O.S. Assembly Lubricant

Hud

There was a four page discussion a few days ago on what oil to use in the N*. Since I was going to change my oil next week, I purchased a bottle of E.O.S. at the Cadillac Dealer to use with the oil change. The direction on the back of the bottle state the following:

"GM RECOMMENDS E.O.S. ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT ONLY FOR THE SPECIFIEC PURPOSES LISTED ABOVE. GM DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF THIS OR ANY PRODUCT AS AN ADDITIVE TO ENGINE OIL." The above meaning camshaft lobes, lifter ports, oil pump, piston and ring assy, etc.

My question is, is it ok to use it as discussed in the earlier posting?

You have assembly lube? If so, it's used on moving parts when you are rebuilding the engine. Oil already has all the additives your engine needs. I don't care what my OLM oil life moniter--did you confuse OLM with whatever you have?--claims but my owner's manual says 3 to 10k on oil changes. I change it @3k because it starts to show some color change. I find it hard to belive that it will hurt the engine not to try to get mileage out of oil. The thing that I cannot understand if if someone is trying to save a few pennies by tweaking out a few extra miles on an oil change, wtf did they buy a Cadillac for? After all, if you're trying to find a way to cut overall expenses, owing a Cadillac certainly isn't a way to do so.

My original post was a case of "open mouth, insert foot". I didn't read all of the discussion on the EOS/oil use post. Sorry, my mistake. As to the post by an01STS, I didn't buy two new Cadillacs(00 Escalade and 02 DTS) to save a few pennies.

Archived