CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Concours Strange Lock Behavior

ronstone

This just started a few days ago.

1. When I lock the car from the inside using the power locks, close the door, as I walk away, 5 seconds later, the locks UNLOCK!

2. While driving, randomly, the locks UNLOCK!

3. I can no longer turn the key to unlock the door twice which used to unlock the entire car at once. There is no response from the second turn.

Anyone else experience this or have suggestions? Hopefully someone will respond with a replacement part # :D

Thanks,

Ron

I have a 96 Deville, when I put the car in park, it unlocks the doors and it locks the doors when I put it in drive. I am wondering if this weirdness you are getting is related to the park/unlock/lock switch malfunctioning. I am going to look the manual over and see what I can find.. What I dont understand is why it unlocks itself when you walk away 5 seconds later, if it were a short, the short would cause the lock/unlock servo to continue trying to unlock burning out the servo and/or draining your battery. I didnt know about that feature that you describe in #3, I have to try that tomorrow. This is a weird one.. Mike

I have a weird lock problem too. The car will lock and unlock just fine with taking the car out of park and returning it to park...but about 50% of the time, the locks will lock when I turn off the ignition. That gets real annoying. I put the car in park, the locks unlock, turn off the ignition and try to get out and the locks have relocked themselves. I am kinda familliar with your key unlock feature. My 93 kinda had that. If you turned the key and held it for a couple of seconds in the drivers door, all the locks would unlock. My 95 does not do that and figured that it was lacking the feature. I will have to try turning it twice tomorrow.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I have a 96 Deville, when I put the car in park, it unlocks the doors and it locks the doors when I put it in drive.  I am wondering if this weirdness you are getting is related to the park/unlock/lock switch malfunctioning.  I am going to look the manual over and see what I can find.. What I dont understand is why it unlocks itself when you walk away 5 seconds later, if it were a short, the short would cause the lock/unlock servo to continue trying to unlock burning out the servo and/or draining your battery. I didnt know about that feature that you describe in #3, I have to try that tomorrow.  This is a weird one..  Mike

Why couldn't the issue had been it mysteriously locked rather than unlocked. Ha.

Looks like there are only 4 ways to toggle the power locks other than manually:

1. FOB (Dont carry them)

2. External door lock double turn

3. Interior door lock buttons

4. Putting car in park

Now to figure out which component. I did not get a response from the double lock turn, but I always got #3 and #4 to work even when #2 failed. My suspicion is that it's tied to the #2 circuity. However, it could be #4. Aggg.

Can anyone shed any light on how this works and what pieces are involved?

i have a different strange problem i put the car in park doors unlock, but every once in a while after a period of time the car locks it self up ive been lucky so far the keys have not been in the ignition go figure :blink::ph34r:

Well, after warming the car up, I came out, and the dash was flickering, and eventually the car died. Charged the battery, and got the console msg "battery no charge". Possibly the alt...

Broke down, and shipped it to the dealer.. I told them about the lock problem, we'll see what they come up with.

Archived