CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission fluid temperature?

JimD

The reason for the question is -- I see dust / dirt accumulating on the check valve located at the top end of the trans. vent hose. Obviously there is trans. fluid vapor present.

My '98 routinely sees 5 to 6 continuous hours of Interstate driving conditions (it gets heat soaked).

So, is the trans. fluid held at or near engine coolant temperature?, or will the internal temp. be xx degrees higher?

Not worried about it, just curious.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Typically, if the VCC is locked up, transmission fluid temperatures are very low...like below 150*F (in the applications I've seen). It's only when you're doing a lot of driving with the converter slipping (stop and go driving, city driving, etc) that the temperatures rise to the point of you wanting to use synthetic fluid or install a transmission cooler.

Especially if you do a lot of Interstate running, the fluid is just barely getting warm.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Remember that the trans oil cooler is in the radiator....so....over the long haul the trans oil is often heated by the coolant so even idling it will get to 200 F.....

I forgot that the applications I'm remembering probably had external transmission coolers, and the temperature gauge often wouldn't rise off the lower peg (100*F). One of them was a Ford Superduty with a Powerstroke. Even pulling a 20,000 pound 5th wheel trailer, the trans temperature would remain at or below 100*F. Only when pulling in stop-and-go traffic and idling around the campground (with the converter unlocked) would the temperature rise to above 150.

I think you are more likely to see the trans oil operating at 210-240 F most of the time.  City driving will run the temp up during hard accels and then it cools during idles.  Interstate driving is pretty easy on the trans and the trans oil is usually running at or slightly above coolant temp by a few degrees.... 

Thank you again, Guru.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Are you sure that gauge wasn't in degrees C....??? I just cannot imagine any transmission staying at 100 to 150 degrees F. Either the gauge was in degrees C or it was in error. In hot weather that would say that the trans is staying near ambient temperature..??? No way. Even with an auxilary air-to-oil cooler it will not stay THAT cool. It might stay near 220 F or so...but not 150.

The gauge was in *F. Perhaps is was wrong. I don't imagine it being wrong though, because the transmission WOULD heat up to "normal" when crawling around a campground or other situation like that. It also had a performance build with an aftermarket torque converter, but I doubt that would have much to do with it.

Archived