CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Catalytic Converter Problems?

Phillip

I have been noticing what appears to be exhaust noise under the hood. I can't find any leaks in the pipe system, although it is very difficult to get near the rear manifold. Is it possible that the noise is a result of a plugged cat? I have had performance issues lately have been unsuccessful in diagnosing any problems with the ignition, fuel or vacuum systems. If it is not the cat, then I assume the noise id coming from the exhaust manifold.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Easy way to see if the catcon is going bad is... Jack up the car, Take a rubber mallet or hammer and tap (dont need to hit hard) the catcon. If it sounds like a big can of rocks in there.... it's toast. If you want more in-depth explanation of why, look back to mid January for the same type of poast...

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Yep, banging on a bad cat will yield the sound of a 'box o' rocks'. As far as peformance issues... you can usually tell when a cat goes bad by sudden decrease in horsepower (from the increased backpressure) and a noticable drop in mpg.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

You may not even have to bank on the cat. Just stand outside and have somebody rev the engine. If you hear a "rattley" sound, you've got cat problems.

Another method is to roll down your window and pull up next to a building. The sound will bounce off the building and back into the window so you can hear it. It's a very distinct sound and "rattley" is the best I can describe it.

Archived