CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP TRANNY PROBLEM

lozo1

Go to this link for a list of codes:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/1996stsdtclist.htm

TC codes are traction control codes, I do not have that list.

It looks like your battery has been disconnected, you are having EGR problems, and your Torque Converter is stuck off. Are any of the codes "current"?

Without knowing what the codes indicate ... the most frequent tranny issue is the shift soleniods. They are about $70 and the job is messy but if mechanically inclined there is enough info here to do it. I did this about a year ago, only the pan and the valve body need be removed.

I was NOT getting the shift solenoid codes, however. I was getting the input speed sensor code only (still do). Anyway, I only mention this because apparently some codes may mask others.

You were probably in 2nd gear btw, the limp home mode cuts out 3rd and 4th. If not then you are experiencing something that I have not read anything about on this board. My car went into limp home mode and although the input speed sensor was the only code (read 'expensive') I replaced the solenoids and that did fix the problem. If you have a shop do it, expect 300-500 dollars. That is if you can get them to just do that and not an overhaul as they will want to do.

Archived