CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pump Replacement Advice Sought 96 STS

larryntripp

Does anyone have any experience with removing the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump unit on a 1996 Seville? Is this a job that one could do themselves or is it best left to professionals? If one can do it, is there anything to watch out for? I have the complete service manual for the car.

Took my car into the dealer today and found I needed a new fuel pump, a new radiator, a solenoid replaced in the transmission and a new rear ride control sensor. Yee gads!!!!! Considering the age and mileage (155,000) of my car I'm looking for some ways to reduce the potential $4000+ estimate for repairs.

I wonder why they say you need a new pump and a new radiator? Without being able to look directly into the radiator, I find it hard to understand how they know it's bad, unless it's leaking. Same deal with the fuel pump. Does your car not run? Or is it hard to start? The fuel pump either works or it doesn't. No in-between really.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The radiator is leaking and it decided to put on a water show while at the car dealer. The car has been hard starting for months after sitting. All the easy stuff has been done and all the indications are that some anti-siphon mechanism on the fuel pump is not working and letting the fuel drain back into the tank.

I replaced the fuel pump myself, it went out on the way home from the "stealership" (who had just completed a $3000 time cert job). Anyway dropping the tank was easy, the hard part is removing the gas. I had to spend 1-2 (messy) hours draining the tank. First I removed the two hoses at the end of the tank and drained most of the gas (with a hand pump). Then I placed two jacks under the tank and put a board on top them. Cranked one jack up, then the other, until the board was flush with the fuel tank. Remove the 4? bolts on each of the "straps". At this point the fuel tank is free, but now you have to worry about maneuvering the exhaust heat shield out of the way...which was a MAJOR pain in the *smurf*. You have to remove 4 or 5 screws from the heat shield and maneuver it back and fourth until there is room for the tank to slip out. Once you have the shield out of the way slowly release the pressure from the jacks and lower the fuel tank. Watch out when lowering the tank because the fuel lines will need to be disconnected in order for the tank to come all the way down. Drop the tank a little and then disconnect the fuel lines, then you can drop it all the way down. Replacing the pump is fairly straight forward, just swap it out, and jack the tank back up into position and put bolts/screws back in...Took me about 5 hours the first time, I could probably do it in 2 now....Having a tank on E helps tremendously.

A.J.

Archived