CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crank Sensor

JIMDTS

Hi

I have a question about changing the crank sensor.When you pull the crank sensor to change it do you loose any engine oil in the process?Does the oil filter have to be removed to get at the sensor. Just curious. I had to add 2 quarts of oil today due to check oil light came on..

Thanks

Jim

I'll take a stab at it without knowing what MY you are talking about. On my '98, the oil filter and filter adapter have to come off to allow you to get your hands up there to change the crank position sensors. Not necessary to take the filter adapter out of the car as the oil pressure sender wiring has enough slack you can lay the adapter on top of the cradle and work around it.

The sensors (and the oil filter adapter) are well above the oil level and the only oil you should see is a little drain down.

You should consider using new O rings on the filter adapter.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hi JimD

Thanks for the information. I am trying to figure out how I burned 2 qts of oil since my last oil change in 1500 mi since it was changed.The dealer changed the oil and I never check the oil after the oil change or after they did the sensor I am just trying to figure out why 2 quarts in 1500 mi. I almost am willing to bet when they changed the oil it came out of the shop Low on oil,. I have it now in the middle of the hash marks(dip stick) hot so I will keep an eye on it.I have about 37500mi on the car now 2 quarts just seems like a lot in 1500mi.The dealer did this before on my other cars after the oil change the car was on the add oil mark Next time I am going to check the oil before I leave the shop..Snooze ya loose..

Cheers

Jim

Yes, 700 miles to a quart would be too much. I bet rather than UNDERfill it, they OVERfilled it, and the engine burned off that oil real quick. They probably filled it to at least the FULL mark when cold, which is at least one quarter OVERfull.

How are you measuring the oil burned? Are you trying to keep it in the middle of the dipstick, checked hot, and you STILL find you're having to add two quarts after 1500 miles? Something seems amiss there.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi I had the oil changed about 1450 miles ago I never checked the fill level after the oil change my fault. But it was cold and I gaffed it off. Since then the dealer changed the crank sensor. So I am thinking did they loose any oil from that job. Today when I started the car I got a check oil level light on the dic panel so I checked the oil and it sure was low it took exactly 2 quarts to bring it in the middle of the hash marks on the dip stick with the engine at normal operating temp.So I ,m thinking they either did not fill the engine properly or as you say they may have overfilled it. If I recall the bill from the oil change says they put 8.8 quarts with a filter.So today I filled it half way on the hash marks on the dip stick and I guess all I can do is monitor the oil consumpsion for now No leaks that I see. It has me stumped....Any ideas??It never burned oil like that before...

Cheers

Jim

Archived