CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

still tranny problems

jkypes

guys my car has been in the shop for about a month now. it wont shift out of first. replaced the whole valve body and solenoids, but to no avail. :( ive been talking to some people around here and they said to take the tranny out and replace the speed sensor. what do you guys think? its a 4t80e in a 93 sts. thanks for the help!!

I would go to the manual and look at every symptom that would stop the car from shifting out of first gear. Does it have reverse? Does it whine? Did they do a pressure test on it? Is the torque convertor new?

yeah they did a pressure test, everything was fine, no whining, it does have reverse, and no the torque converter isnt new. ive replaced everything electrical in the tranny so far, and my last option, that im going through with as of today, is a rebuild. the guy is being cool though, hes only charging me 2000 out the door for all the parts and labor for everything.

yeah they did a pressure test, everything was fine, no whining, it does have reverse, and no the torque converter isnt new. ive replaced everything electrical in the tranny so far, and my last option, that im going through with as of today, is a rebuild. the guy is being cool though, hes only charging me 2000 out the door for all the parts and labor for everything.

$1800 to $2000 is about right for a full rebuilt with a torque convertor. Didnt this tranny come from the salvage yard, or am I thinking about somebody else? The torque convertor should have been changed but its too late now, the idea is . Didn't you say that the spacer plate was damaged, was it replaced? If this tranny was from the salvage yard see what year it is from maybe the control signals are different. Here is the symptoms list from the manual for no 1 - 2 shift. Good Luck.

PS is this convertor from your tranny prior tranny?

post-3-1102106724.jpg

yeah it came from a salvage yard, but the problem is that the guy who originally swapped them sold my old tranny to a scrapper. when the tranny was first installed, the guys said there was an incorrect axle ratio code or something like that. then when we found one of the wires was stripped, we replaced it, and now that code doesnt come up. i believe the converter is from the previous tranny. they did pressure tests on it and it looked fine. you guys think a rebuild is inevitable?

yeah it came from a salvage yard, but the problem is that the guy who originally swapped them sold my old tranny to a scrapper. when the tranny was first installed, the guys said there was an incorrect axle ratio code or something like that. then when we found one of the wires was stripped, we replaced it, and now that code doesnt come up. i believe the converter is from the previous tranny. they did pressure tests on it and it looked fine. you guys think a rebuild is inevitable?

You have an STS, the STS has a different gear ratio than an SLS or Deville. You really needed the same gear ratio tranny and they should have known that, they have sold you an inferior tranny for your STS in my mind. I am not sure if this will comfuse the computer with the different gear ratio and how it will interpret that into MPH for the speedometer, there may be a speedometer inaccuracy but I am not sure.

I hope someone else chimes in here, I'd be po'd about getting the wrong tranny installed. I dont know the system well enough to know if having a non STS tranny would cause the problem, I don't think so, but what year is the tranny is it at least the same year as yours? I dont know how the computer controls changed with different year trannys, I hope Guru sees this, I am sure he will have knowledge of this.. I think you need more information about the tranny that is currently in your car, ie year, serial number, etc..

What was wrong with your old tranny? Did it burn out the clutches? If it did, the old clutch material circulates through the tranny and convertor. That is the reason to replace the convertor as the clutch material ends up inside it and gets circulated throughout your new tranny messing it up...

I would NOT rebuilt THAT tranny as it's the wrong gear ratio, but thats me. I really dont have any answers for you, except for you to go back to the salvage yard and have them take this tranny back and supply you with the tranny that goes in an STS not an SLS. Someone else here will confirm the gear ratio for us... Mike

my question is why did that code only show up right after the tranny was installed, but then disappeared after we fixed a wire?

I can't help you with that, you should try to get bbobynski's attention here and see what he thinks about this. The important issue is do trannys from different years work. I will give you an example, I can not use radios from later years as the serial signals changed, if that occurred in the trannys from year to year, you may not be communicating with the computer properly and that may cause your shifting problem. Did that code go away altogether? Try disconnecting the battery and see if it resets... Good Luck, I dont envy the position you are in..

From my information that I have found about transmissions and ratios, the:

SLS/Eldorado have: 3.11

STS/Eldorado Touring Coupe (ETC) have: 3.71

From what I have read and been told is a SLS/Eldorado trannys will not work in a STS/ETC. What I have also been told is that transmissions are year specific. If you have a 1993 STS, ONLY a transmission from a 1993 STS or ETC will work in there. I am currently hunting down a 1995 tranny but I am seriously considering going to the GM parts counter, same price as a tranny shop rebuild but 3 year/80,000 kms warrantee and they have all the updates in them already. Good luck.

Spence

From what I have read and been told is a SLS/Eldorado trannys will not work in a STS/ETC.  What I have also been told is that transmissions are year specific.  If you have a 1993 STS, ONLY a transmission from a 1993 STS or ETC will work in there.  I am currently hunting down a 1995 tranny but I am seriously considering going to the GM parts counter, same price as a tranny shop rebuild but 3 year/80,000 kms warrantee and they have all the updates in them already.  Good luck.

Spence

Great Job, Spence!!! I was thinking that may be the case, but couldn't state it. Mike

From what I have read and been told is a SLS/Eldorado trannys will not work in a STS/ETC. What I have also been told is that transmissions are year specific. If you have a 1993 STS, ONLY a transmission from a 1993 STS or ETC will work in there. I am currently hunting down a 1995 tranny but I am seriously considering going to the GM parts counter, same price as a tranny shop rebuild but 3 year/80,000 kms warrantee and they have all the updates in them already. Good luck.

Spence

I replaced my 93 sts transmission with a used 95 or 96 sts tranny. The difference was the wiring harness found outside the tranny housing. My original tranny was stamped 4T80EX and the newer one was 4T80E. Unfortunately this was before I found the board and realized I only had to replace the solenoids. Cottman Transmissions in DE wanted $3000 to rebuild my transmission after test driving it and knowing the gears were shifting 1-2 perfectly with no 3 or 4 shifts and I saw the service guy checking the codes. I didn't know enough at the time that Cadillacs ran the error codes from the DIC, but I did have enough sense to not cough up $3 grand. Bottom line, just make sure the transmission you're using has the same axle ratio as the one you're taking out.

WELL WELL WELL, I was looking through my manual for the other guy having problems with 3rd and 4th gears and what did I find.... That the PCM calculates the gear ratio based on data from the automatic tranny input shaft and output shaft speed sensors. The PCM compares the known transmission gear ratio to a calculated ratio for each gear range selected.

OMG, it gets better.... IF certain conditions are met one of the actions taken is that the PCM disables upshift adapts. However, this should set a code, DTC P0730.

Send me an email address by private message and if you want I will scan these pages and send them to you, its a bunch of pages. We may be getting somewhere here, Mike

Archived